For the French, Freedom is Worth Less than Paper.

TheCorinthian

Wellington was not detested only by the French.

The "Iron Duke" nickname was due to the fact his own fellow countrymen did not like him much...

But on this one, the French are stupid

Wellington's problem was his total disinterest in promoting himself personally.

Like most successful men he had many enemies, not a few of whom were made during the Peninsula War in Spain where he refused to accept substandard provisions and shoddy weapons and uniforms made by English companies with powerful political friends. (Does this sound familiar?)

The French, Belgians, Dutch and Prussians (Germans) all have their own versions of the Battle of Waterloo, most belittling Wellington's contribution.

The undeniable historical fact is that Wellington, with 90,000 troops of which only 30,000 were veterans, fought Napoleon, with 120,000 veterans at his disposal, to a standstill and Napoleon was withdrawing in the hope of fighting another day when Blucher arrived with the Prussian army ... at the end of the day... and turned it into a route.

I see Wikipedia disagrees with some of my figures but the substance is the same.

If you can find it I recommend "The Years of the Sword", by Elizabeth Harman Pakenham, Countess of Longford.

Archived