A bad girl deserves bad things, doesn't she?

limbo

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had a thought. (Startling, I know ... but it does happen at times.) In past years, Thai film studios used to crank out movies by the dozens each year. The market was upcountry, where the yokels ... ahem, I mean rural folks ... were hardly sophisticated. Thus melodramas were the rule. The films were generally violent and women were often victimised. The hero was usually a grade A arsehole who treated women like shite and beat up everyone else in sight. This was the typical example of a "real Thai man".

The film studios have almost been put out of business by the influx of western films. I wonder if the TV soap opera is what has replaced them. In Thai films the ending was almost always unhappy, usually with the lovers dying. It was sickeningly predictable, with plots running the gamut from A to B. The same is true of Thai TV shows.

:hmmm:

This shit is what people want to see on TV but some people actually believe it. Sad but true.

What?? Are you saying TV isn't real? Next thing you are going to tell me is everything I read on the internet isn't true. What on earth is this world coming to?

Archived