Thai Government Postpones Taxi Fare Hike

Central Scrutinizer

Taxi drivers will have to wait for a fare hike, since the ministerial regulation on the issue has not yet been announced for enforcement.

Deputy Transport Minister Songsak Thongsri said the agency has not approved the ministerial regulation on the taxi fare hike so far, because it must wait for an official report from a recent meeting on the topic before another discussion can be held with the transport minister to set up a schedule for enforcing the order.

Acting Land Transport Department Director-General Chairat Sa-nguansue said the department's resolution to raise the taxi fare on June 11th has not been executed so far. Cab drivers will have to use the old rate until the new regulation is passed. Passengers who feel they have been treated unfairly by operators regarding the fare price can call 1584.

In the meantime, Land Transport Federation of Thailand Secretary-General, Thongyu Kongkhan said the group's members will decide what they want the government to do to relieve their suffering from high price of gasoline.

He added that lorry operators will storm Bangkok with their trucks if the government fails to respond to their requests.

The President of the Association of Transport Operators in the lower south, Pisit Sae-ngow , suggested that the government impose an oil subsidy for transport operators around the country, not just in the northeast. He says otherwise it will affect the government's credibility and such unfair treatment might be linked to politics.

The President of the Association of Transport Operators in the lower south, Pisit Sae-ngow , suggested that the government impose an oil subsidy for transport operators around the country, not just in the northeast. He says otherwise it will affect the government's credibility and such unfair treatment might be linked to politics.

Linked to politics..... :p

Waerth,

I usually tip the 'good' taxi drivers (GTD) that get me to where I want to go quickly, and with no hassle and angst, decently. I know they are getting screwed by the government and taking a bath with the exceptionally low fares they are forced to endure due to government interference. And most are very appreciative of the tip and are decent guys just trying to make a living.

Some are cunts trying out their scams and bullshit. These, when I see it/notice it, I just tell to pull over and pay the meter and get out and find another passing taxi (usually, unless it is raining, this is not hard to do... thankfully).

Cent

Archived