U.S. permanent residency visas-within grasp ()finally)!!

dean

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dog made it through customs alright but they confiscaded the dog food that I brought with me in my carry on bag because it had been opened. Wouldn't even let me fill the dogs food dish before tossing it. The dog had about 38 hours at airports before arriving in Kansas City, so I dont think he will ever see Thailand again.

• 1 month later...

I was really hoping that I could let this thread stay inactive, but a small problem has arisen. The three step children got their permanent residency cards (green cards) within two weeks of entering the U.S. (Oct. 16). My wife never got her card. I called the Homeland Security office in Southern California (because they entered through LAX), The first time, they said to wait 30 days before calling about a missing card. I called after 30 days and they told me to wqait 60 days. I called today (60 days and my wife has been reminding me for the last week to call) and they actually took the time to look up her file. The card was issued on Oct. 21 but destroyed on October 28, because she had her eyes closed (their version, not mine; I thought her eyes were open enough and the U.S. embassy in Bangkok also thought so) and they don't have a decent signiture from her (again, the embassy in Bangkok had no problem with it). I have to go through a couple days of bullshit with different agencies and then pay Homeland an additional $70.00 to re-issuse the card. Nice Christmas present from the U.S. government!

Could have been much, much worse!

Welcome to the US of Nazi-ism!!! Every US gov agency has their own take on the rules and whatnot. No clear path to get many things done!

Errrr, I never said this...don't want to end up on some "watch list"...typing this while looking over my shoulder...

At this point, I don't think it could have been much worse. I don't think that they were going to deport her over her photo and signiture. I'll just jump through a few more hoops for them and get this over with, as my wife nags me every day about the green card. I do think that they could have sent me a note that they required a new photo and signiture before issuing the card instead of letting me wait 2 months to find out. But you are right. In the grand scheme of things and what I've been through to this p;oint, its not that big a deal. I still wanted to document it on this sight for future applicants, so they know what kind of crap to expect. Anyway, it looks like it will be a white christmas in KC this year. Maybve by tomarrow, it will get above freezing so I can get out and start on the paperwork for the green card.

If I read right, you are almost thru the process, but not done. If so, I wish you the best and I hope everybody gets what you have asked for.

The USA makes a task that should be easy a friggin nightmare.

Sounds like the US embassy are about as helpful as their UK counterparts :mad:

Are there actually any embassies regardless of nationality that are actually customer friendly?

No, the U.S. embassy in Bangkok (meaning the career Americans working there, not the Thais that man the windows) is not user friendly, partially since you can't contact thm by any means except showing up durnig a 2 hour window of opportunity on Monday afternoon (living in Chinag Mai, this is more than a little difficult) and partially because you never get a clear answer from them on why your aplication is "incomplete" (as if adding another sentence or two to their terse letter is going going above and beyond the call of duty). As continuing my documentation of the immigration process, I would like to recommend that, if any of the immigrants ane children and plan on going to school in the U.S., you should get at least 2 copies of the various vacinations required. I had gone to two Hosiptals in C.M. to get the vacinations. Immigration kept the records of the first hospital's records but gave me the record from the second hospital, which I gave to school officials in Kansas City. They told me what shots had not been given and gave me to January 15 to supply them with documentation that the shots had been given. Monday, I went to a doctor to get the shots for the 3 children. They, and the school system, had no record of the shots given by the first hospital in Chiang Mai CiangMai Ram Hospital) and were going to repeat the shots. I didn't want this becasue of the cost and the reaction of the two girls to the shots the first time. I contacted Chiangmai Ram hospital Tuesday morning (there) and they had sent me the records by email by Wednesday. If you are immigrating to the U.S. and have children, contact the school system in the U.S. and find out what shots are required in advance and get them done in Thailand, where it will be cheaper. And get two copies of the documentation.

Archived