Sashimi Galore

dullnight

Samak,

I'm once again bemused at your knowledge of Bkk restaurants. Have you actually tried all those places you write about? Thanks for the tip on Shangri La japanese restaurant, the most convenient place for me and probably the first of that list that I'll check. Just hope it will be more conclusive than Angelini in the same hotel :cover:

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Thong Lor soi 13 after a disappointing look in Edogin (totally empty) and thanks for the good advice, it looks like a little Tokyo. Food was nothing too fancy but good setting and quite cheap. Again I got the feeling Thong Lor is a cool area to live in, too bad it's so difficult to access if one doesn't work in the vicinity.

The current issue(19/9/08) of BK MAGAZINE: a free publication found at COFFEE WORLD as well as many other locations around town, focuses on restaurants and offers some interesting insights. They cite a study in the US that revealed that more than 25% of the seafood items served in a number of upscale restaurants were not the variety of fish they advertised on the menu; cod used instead of the advertised redfish for example.

One can only imagine how often this happens in restaurants locally with complete lack of oversight and the big profits to be made.

A diner may suspect not being served an authentic item but proving it would not be easy.

Archived