SERIOUS QUESTION ABOUT SAFETY

mackey144

utah2001:

thanks for the info, now I really am considering just bringing what I can put in my pockets. ( passport, book, meds)

did You notice if they had a special line for ppl with no baggage ( to speed things up)

'

they show a line at our local airport way outside the building, and say 3hr wait is not unusual.

( I don't think I could go that long without a

"pottie" break)

also, got this emailed to me, you'all may get a laff out of it.

Latest news reports advise that a cell of 4 terrorists have been

operating at the Honeywell Deer Valley site. Police advised earlier today

that 3 of the 4 have been detained. Security stated that the terrorists Bin

Sleepin, Bin Drinkin and Bin Goofin have been arrested on immigration

issues. The Police advise further that they can find no one fitting the

description of the fourth cell member, Bin Workin, in the area.

Police are confident that anyone who looks like Bin Workin will be very

easy

to spot in the plant.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an American buddy living in Japan who just took a business trip to Thailand and was also in Burma and had no problems. He advised staying away from the US Embassy for obvious reasons. He also noticed extra security everywhere but said he had a good trip.

Sailor

Agree with the goers....I leave for LOS December 17 and can't wait......worried???? not a bit.....I believe the terrorists have more USA targets to concentrate on, but having common sense about proclaiming my nationality in sensitive areas and with appropriate sensitivity goes without saying. Yes, there may be radical muslims in Thailand, just like here in the US, but they are a minority and basically no one, I mean no one, will keep me from Sanuk, if we let that happen, then truly the terrorists have won. btw, it sounds like carry on is a drag now, maybe its time to check it all in as I also stop in Japan??? crazy.gif" border="0

Aaawooooo!!!

I'm not sure how much easier it would be to go without luggage. I do know that at the Thai Air counter in LAX there was a special line for people without check-in luggage, which we didn't have because we booked our luggage straight through from Salt Lake. However, on our way back, they wouldn't let us book it through as usual. We had to physically pick up the check-in luggage in LAX and take it to the Delta counter and re-check it in.

All things considered, the lines weren't too bad. The worst wait was at LAX at the Thai Air counter going to BKK, and we arrived early. The line was huge. Everyone else had the same idea because about an hour before flight left, the line at the counter had dwindled to practically nothing. There was also a long line at the security check point at LAX, and I didn't see where having carry on or not made any difference in that line.

The two worst waiting periods we had were going to Bangkok, prior to the start of the bombing and the increase in security. On the return trip we didn't have to wait very long at all, even with everything being searched and such.

One piece of advice: Don't take a picture of the military guys carrying M16's standing around the security machines. That's a definite no no, unless you like being the center of attention for a short while! Those guys with M16's can run pretty fast!

utah2001:

thanks agin for the uptodate info.

About re-checking ur bags in lax, I think that is standard, all the times I return to USA, it is part of the customs process, get ur bag and re-check it back to connecting flight.

Btw: I notice here the guys with M-16s (in san diego airport) dont have a clip locked in. maybe they want them to think a little b4 going the final step.

did you notice anyone being hasseled with digital cameras/batteries in their carry on stuff.

to mackey144

I've seen nothing that would suggest that you put off your trip. Other than a few obnoxious remarks, there really has been nothing different here. I'd exercise a little caution, but thats about it. There has been talk about people wearing Bin Laden T-shirts, but I havent seen any, and I'm out every day. I walk through little Arabia often, and have had no problems yet. If you are not looking for trouble, and keep your eyes open, its unlikely to find you. Thats the way it was before Sept 11, and it hasn't changed

I was at the U.S. embassy yesterday, and their advise is pretty much the same.

quote:

Originally posted by mackey144:

My family and friends think I am crazy to even consider traveling to a foriegn country at this time, let alone a country that is so close to the "heat".

Close to the "heat"?? You do know Afganistan is about 3000 miles away from Thailand? Don't they study geography in the States?

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: Ultraviolet ]

No problems with cameras. Computers had to be taken out of their case, everything else electronic (cell phones, CD players, etc.) could be left in the bag.

Do not try to carry on things such as nail files or even small sizzors (had both confiscated in Japan). My friend had a small pair of blunt nose sizzors and an eyeglass screwdriver that made it through Japan, but then was confiscated in LAX. I've heard stories about any type of razor blade being confiscated, but I left those in my check-in luggage.

BIG HINT FOR LAX: After you check in at the international terminal, you go towards the back and have to go either left or right, depending on which gate you want to get to. EITHER LINE WILL GET YOU TO ANY GATE! We arrived and there were about 200 people lined up going to the right, and only about 20 lined up going to the left. We went left.

Comforting thought over the Pacific Ocean: We had eaten and they turned out the lights so people could sleep. The plane was less than half full, so both my friend and I each had 3 seats to ourselves. I slept for awhile, and then tried to turn on the reading light. It didn't work. It didn't work on any of the three seats. No big deal. The flight attendant walks by, and I tell him. He says something like "yeah, there are a few that don't work".

My friend jokingly says "what's up with that?"

The flight attendant responds: "There are a lot of things that don't work on this airplane".

Archived