SERIOUS QUESTION ABOUT SAFETY

mackey144

Hello fellow sanukers. I am a hard core visitor to Thailand. (I try to come at least 2 or 3 times a year, for the past 4 years). My next schedualed visit is supposed to be the first two weeks of December. I was looking forward to this very much...however now with the recent developments of the war in Afgahnastan, and seeing the reaction of the muslim communities in other Asian countries, I am having some serious doubts about traveling abroad. What exactly is the attitude towards Americans in Thailand? I know many expats still live there, and I know that Thailand is 95% Buddist, but I also know that there are small pockets of muslims that live in Thailand as well. Is there a saftey concern if I go there as originally schedualed? My family and friends think I am crazy to even consider traveling to a foriegn country at this time, let alone a country that is so close to the "heat". But I just cant see the Thailand that I know to be caught up with this whole thing. I read this website almost every day and I know that many are enjoying the sanuk scene every day and not much is mentioned about this terrible war, so I am thinking it is still ok to travel there. Am I right?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's all the concern??? Things are just fine here, if your'e out sanuking one night and see a bright flash and a mushroom cloud, may penray......I couldn't think of a better way to go. It's not as if you're not going to die at some stage anyway! (there's a rumour that the Thermea has a fallout shelter anyway)

cheers

DM

If you're not ready to die today, tomorrow will see you no better prepared

Mackey144, I’ve been wondering as well. I’ll be there in a few days but haven’t heard very much in the way of security issues.

Here’s some information I’ve received from a friend or two in country now…

No big problems yet (hopefully never) though Southern Thailand does present some concern due to the predominantly Muslim population there, with some extremist as well (not 100% sure about that, help anyone???). Apparently some younger Muslim (Thai) students are a bit miffed by the attacks and are starting to speak out about it, not sure of what areas though. Not much else I’ve heard really, nothing on the board either. I hope someone can help out here. How’s Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, etc?

I still plan on going, but will just be much more aware of my environment and plan on keeping whatever S.A. I have well tuned to what’s going on around me. I do know one shouldn’t take anything out on any believers of Islam there in Thailand. All those Pakistani, Iranian, or any other folks who practice the beliefs of Islam will get the same respect now as they always have in the past. It’s just not worth the effort or the possible outcome of any ill feelings or displays towards those people. Why provoke trouble :-)

Anyway… I believe keeping a low profile and just using good sense can help in times like these. That way we can all enjoy a little escape from what’s going on out there in the real world, if just for a little while.

Nakbin

There have been some isolated incidents between Farangs and Muslims. But SERIOUSLY.. my family lives in NY and from what I hear from them I would rather be here than there.

There are some Muslims here.. but they are still Thai's.. there are many more Muslims in the states.. I dont feel in danger at all.

There are also reports of demonstrations at the US embasy.. if anyone wants more info on this I can post.. or PM me

Also Thailand is a very transient place and a lot of Pakistanis vacation here.. but fuck it. I mean I would rather be here now than anywher else I can think of..

and the simple fact is there is very little worth wasting a bomb on here in Thailand

There are actually muslim people in most countries both in Europe and USA and also in Thailand and some may be extremists. But what can you do other than lookafter yourself.

Just don't be paranoid.

Just returned and had no problems, although you wouldn't believe the changes in airport security between when I left (October 1st) and when I returned (October 10th).

I've never had my carry on luggage searched so many times. I was up until 2 in the morning, carefully packing everything I'd bought. (I'd done all my Christmas shopping in Thailand). It took some doing to fit everything in my 2 check in pieces of luggage and my two carry on pieces.

Guess what? I arrive an Don Maung airport in Bangkok to leave, and everything was unpacked an unwrapped - both carry on and check on.

Carry on luggage had to be removed from the Thai Air airplane in Japan - a change from my flight to Bangkok.

In Japan all pieces of carry on luggage were searched. Same same in LAX.

That will be the last time I stuff dirty underwear and socks into my carry on luggage!

Interesting comments about safety. I am heading to Thailand in a few weeks and really looking forward to it. I am an American but haven't lived there in five years so I'm sort of detached from the paranoia going on back home right now.

Reason I bring this up, I am thinking about taking a day trip from Chiang Mai into the Golden Triangle and Burma. Most folks I mention it to think I'm nuts. I think they are paranoid and over cautious.

Should I be concerned about driving around nothern Thailand?

Thanks.

Hi, no problems here in Thailand yet, but if you are going to Burma may some what different, for it's own reasons, south Thailand has had it's situations in the past but more out off the main tourist areas.

Just don't walk around with the stars and strips flag on your back, one thing is with so few people flying these days it must be easy to get an upgrade to business class, try it

Archived