DVD players where and how much.

Where is the best place in BKK to get a DVD player and how much do they go for.

I have been told "chinatown in Bangkok" but have no idea where exaclty this is.

Do they sell them at Panthip Plaza?

I will be making a one day shopping trip over the weekend to Bangkok from Pattaya and would appreciate some advice so I don't have to spend all day looking or get ripped off.

Cheers.

I bought mine at Boomerang, 4th floor MBK, located on the same end as Tokyu all the way at the furthest end. It's an all-region Pioneer player and was something like 11,900 baht if I remember correctly.

The stores near Boomberang sell pirated DVDs but the quality is often dodgy. I had to return about half of the ones I bought.

Cheers!

I bought a Poineer DV525 about a year ago now and it's never let me down. I've recommended it to other people and no complaints yet. When I bought mine I think the price was 8,500baht. Be careful with Sony players, some of the newer DVD disks will not play on them because they have multi-region encryption, that is, if your Sony is chipped to play DVD's from any region, certain movies will not play (Hollowman is one that springs to mind.)

There's a small home electronics shop outside the Big C shopping centre with a good range of DVD's. All are already chipped so you save the 2,000baht or whatever it costs to chip them.

I have a 41" Sony projection TV, Sony home theatre system, and the Pioneer DVD, the sound and picture quality is amazing!

mikey, yr setup sounds great, which Big C do you refer to ? The one in Pratunam.

I brought a Samsung DVD player in Malaysia for about 8500 works well but havn't had a lot of luck with the DVD's I have brought, only 2 so far but both break up half way through, tried them on another DVD player, same. Looking for a good reliable supplier.

quote:

Originally posted by Fatbastard:

mikey, yr setup sounds great, which Big C do you refer to ? The one in Pratunam.

Not sure the name of the area but it's the one not far from the World Trade Centre. On the same street as Big C, about 50 metres down you'll see a big Panasonic sign, that's the place.

I only bought my DVD from there, and on my last visit they had no Pioneer DV525's left. From what I gather the DV525 has been superceeded by the 636, which is a lot more expensive (around 19,000.) I also phoned the Power Mall (from where my TV and home theatre system was purchased), at the top of the Emporium, but they're also out of stock on that model.

There's no doubt lots of other great machines, but my experience has always been with Pioneer (no complaints) and Sony (very strict on anti-pirating.)

quote:

I brought a Samsung DVD player in Malaysia for about 8500 works well but havn't had a lot of luck with the DVD's I have brought, only 2 so far but both break up half way through, tried them on another DVD player, same. Looking for a good reliable supplier.

Copies or originals? As a general rule, DVD copies of films that have already been released on DVD are good, other, newer films are probably copied on to DVD from the source recording medium (sometimes straight from the camcorder.) For instance I bought 'The Cell' for 250baht at Plantip Plaza and the quality is excellent and includes all the special features one would expect. On the otherhand, 'Traffic', which at the time had not been released on DVD, was medium picture quality with very poor sound, and no menus or features.

If you are using original DVD's then your player could be an old one. DVD encryption and encoding techniques change from disk to disk, and some older players have trouble with the newer films ('The Matrix' springs to mind as a very temperamental DVD. The picture breaks up on some DVD players, or hangs completly during the layer change.)

Bare in mind that when you purchase a DVD player make sure it has the right connections for your other audio/video equipment. If your TV only has the standard phono jacks then you don't have to worry about this. On the other hand, if you have a decent TV with component video in, you'd be better off purchasing a DVD with the equivalent going out. If you plan on connecting to a home theatre system in the future, well, that's a whole new ball game. You should still think about it though, because when the time comes you may have to buy a completely new player.

My advice: make sure your DVD has component video out, and digital optical out.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Archived