Supermarket Snubs

I agree with being overcharged or ignored for hand outs. They are shocked a Black farang even knows some Thai and when I respond in Thai, some lose face and smile it off while others stand their ground. I give my 'this is bulls**t stare'. I refuse to patron anyone who doesn't appreciate my services. This goes back to my childhood and being followed in department stores for fear I'd shoplift.

Lets let it be known which stores are the culprits and if possible mention it to the management. It may be store policy or it may be the sole attititude of the person giving the hand-outs.

As far as the States. I think English is increasingly becoming a 2nd language. Especially in places like Southern California, South Florida, Texas, etc. Not saying its bad or good, just stating a fact of a trend. You have to know Spanish for certain municipal jobs. A requirement in Miami. If it comes to that I'll learn Spanish. When I was in banking a while back I learned Japanese because they had the money. Whoever has the gold, makes the rules...and it the states the ones who are starting to make the rules are calling gold 'oro'.

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but as I understand it, farangs aren't allowed to collect if they win the lottery. You must be a Thai national. You'd have to find a "very" trustworthy Thai to collect the mega millions for you ... good luck, mates.

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

It's not just the supermarkets, UBC is doing the same thing. In their current issue is info on getting discounts at a lot of stores/fast food chains, obviously all the info is in Thai only. And here too I would expect a large portion of their audience to be expats.

I can understand that being a Thai company based in Thailand with a large Thai audience their magazine would be in Thai. BUT would it really be that hard to print an English version of the magazine for the undoubtedly large amount of expat subscribers? I would love to know what the percentage is, I bet it is substantial.

Sanuk!

Hi KS,

The percentage is not substantial. For a company loosing already more as 2 Billion bath a year extra costs to print the magazine in English would be a bad move I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if others notice some thai companies that take credit cards tack on a fee

for using a cc?

I read my merchants agreement with my cc processing co. and they strictly forbid that.

I think if we turned in a few of the ones that try to nickel and dime us they would loose their cc processing privelages pretty fast.

I had it happen with a travel co. when buying an air ticket ( they even came to my room to deliver the ticket/ and run the cc in a machine)

Just last week I asked about tuition for my daughter ( pay with cc) they said there would be an additional fee for using a cc.

I also wonder if they know/worry there is some recourse if we are cheated on something, and we stop or at least hold up their money by contacting our cc company.

Over to u.

I'm absolutely certain that American Express has no idea at at this kind of thing is going and will be so grateful when you call and tell them that they'll immediately cancel the culprit's account with them. Yeah, Sure. Right. No doubt.

But still, just in case, better be prepared for the sound of raucous laugher when you insist that the practice is forbidden under your cardholder agreement and has to be stopped.

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

[QB]

There is a whole ?farangs can?t play this game? mentality where Thai supermarkets and department stores are concerned ? have you noticed? Whenever a department store runs a raffle and gives away prizes of TVs, stereos, and cash vouchers, how many foreigners do you see standing around pulling colored balls from a plastic bucket? Or filling in their names and addresses on raffle tickets to be entered into the Toyota prize draw ? I?ll tell you ? it?s not bloody many! Because it?s a game that farangs can?t play and yet we spend as much as Thais do at the checkout counter. There are never any rules in English and there is never any staff to explain what you might win if you enter, or even how to enter.

You just can't win a Thai game.

quote:

Originally posted by pasathai:

I think if we turned in a few of the ones that try to nickel and dime us they would loose their cc processing privelages pretty fast.

Over to u.

Uhh, you know these merchants have to pay anywhere from 3% to 9% as a processing fee to the credit card company? Exactly how are they ripping you of by charging you what they have to pay extra so you can use your card? Would you prefer they jack the prices up and discount for cash?

I know how it is getting charged the cc fee from the card company ( being a merchant) but when we sign up for processing cards we agree not to charge an extra fee for accepting cards.

I think ( wish maybe) everyone should operate by the same rules ( agreement).

I agree, it is only wishful thinking, but if we mention it to them. at the very least they will know we know they are pulling something they agreed not to. ( like thais will care, but may chip a little "face" from them)

Archived