Thailand Golf Tour

Interested to know if anyone has gone on a 1/2/3 week tour around Thailand to play the different golf courses?

I am considering doing something like this and would like to know of anyone's personal experiences....

Thanks

Sanukboot.

I have been to the golf courses in Phuket,

the Loch Palm, The Phuket Country Club (18hole & 9 hole course)and the Lake course in the Blue Canyon(which has 2 courses). The other course in the Blue Canyon Course is the Canyon course.I spent 4 days in Patong along with friends playing here.

The courses are great. The caddies good and the club houses excellent. I would love to know more about a golf tour in Thailand too. If you need any more info on the above courses i shall be happy to oblige.

I can add a bit more info to help,

Phuket ,Loch Palm , A very nice course ,

The Phuket Country Club (the 18 hole & the 9 hole course) A beautiful course with lots of water traps

Pattaya , Sri Racha golf club, nice big course, played there only once

Bangkok ;

Krung Kavee golf club, nice big course not difficult , never very crowded

Lam Luk Ka country club , A fantastic 36 hole course, lots of water here and very difficult

Bangna Thai Navy course , A real small course but good for having a hit and a cheap course only 500 baht

Muang Ake golf club , A good course with a challenging lay out

Muang Ake vista (day and night time with lights) small course but ok if you only have free time in the night to play

Panya park a very nice course a bit far away though ,

Some worthwhile Notes;

The Phuket courses are generaly more expensive about 2,000 baht all up , but you can join as a local member for 500 baht at Loch Palm and if you know a member at The Phuket Country Club to sign you in it will save you a bit of baht. To be a member at the Loch Palm you need an address in Phuket, a printed business card will do, you can then join up on the spot , get half price green fee's on that day and every time you play there,

The Bangkok courses are mostly double price on the weekends and public holidays and it can be crowded .

The Bangkok courses are cheapest on Wednesdays, you can play for 600 baht to 800 baht on Wednesdays at most of them, plus caddy fee of 200 baht plus a tip for the caddy.

The other week days they are 600 baht to 1,000 baht plus a tip for the caddy.

Mondays a few courses can be closed so watch out for that,

Most open at 6.00am and it is a good time to play if you can get up at that hour.

Anyone considering playing golf in Phuket and on a budget might want to consider staying at the International House of Travelers http://www.geocities.com/ihotphuket/ , which is literally across the road from the Phuket Country Club and right next to the driving range.

I stayed there a few weeks ago and the place was great. It is run by friends of my wife. Anyway, you can get more info on the website or send me an IM. I'm not a big golfer but I did manage to at least hit 50 balls at the driving range.

You are spoilt for choice for golf in Thailand. Hua Hin, Kanchanaburi and Khao Yoi NP are all good bases to explore local courses. Pattaya too, but you may have to travel further. I've never played any of the Bangkok courses but I know there are some really good layouts.

Favourite courses:

Bang Pra (Pattaya)

Majestic Creek (Hua Hin)

Dragon Hills (Ratchaburi)

Mission Hills (Kanchanaburi and Khao Yoi)

I've played at a few courses too and have to agree with my learned colleage about Lam Luk Ka - it's awesome. There is a great website called thaigolfer (I think). It gives you all the information you need and also rates the course so you know exactly what to expect. As Bangkok has about 48 courses within two hours drive you really are spoilt for choice, however don't be too keen on an early tee-off as you may find that you have to get up at 6.00 am! You can always try Bangkok Golf Course as a great introduction to Thai Golf. Ask for Tony Choi and he will steer you in the right direction and will even pair you up with similar handicappers if you're going solo.

Smooth swinging!

OffQuay.

ps. don't get roped in to the 'night golf' experience - playing in floodlights ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Archived