Barstool football

Long Gun

First live game of the season is the Smogmonsters versus the Gooners on Saturday at 9.00 pm. Anyone likely to be watchng at the Hare & Hounds? Froggy? (I'll be temporarily supporting the Arse!) Another so far unannounced game too. Sunday it's Chelsea v the scum at 8.00 and Man Utd v Fulham at 10.00.

LG

Being superstistious like many football fans, I'm a bit wary of this game. I remember last season in the north east on the first game of the season when we thrashed Sunderland 0-1 which set the tone for the season, unable to score goals.

Changing the topic slightly, I see Sunderland came second...in the total number of arrests over the season. You lost out to Newcastle. Top 5 all northerners...

quote:

Originally posted by abbot thong:

Changing the topic slightly, I see Sunderland came second...in the total number of arrests over the season. You lost out to Newcastle.

Aye well, it's the only time we'll finish second to them this season. Did you see the photo which accompanied that story on the Soccernet site - absolutely priceless!

I have to say, we were a trifle fortunate in that game, though well worth the draw and unlucky not to win at Highbury, though we could have been about 10 down at half-time!

I can't wait for the season to get going!

LG

Long Gun,

Stupid questions.

1. Why is Liverpool referred to as Anfield so many times ? I assume this is the name of their home field or area of Liverpool that they are from ? [Please excuse my ignorance here]

2. Transfers. Who gets the money ?

Example. Juan Sebastian Veron - Lazio (Ita) to Manchester United (UKP 28.1 million).

Ruud van Nistelrooy - PSC Eindhoven (Neth) to Manchester United (UKP 19 million).

quote:

Originally posted by Pom Michael:

1. Why is Liverpool referred to as Anfield so many times ? I assume this is the name of their home field or area of Liverpool that they are from ? [Please excuse my ignorance here]

2. Transfers. Who gets the money ?

Example. Juan Sebastian Veron - Lazio (Ita) to Manchester United (UKP 28.1 million).

Ruud van Nistelrooy - PSC Eindhoven (Neth) to Manchester United (UKP 19 million).

Clearly not a real 'Pom' then?

1 Yes, Anfield is just the name of their home ground. There is more than one team from Liverpool (cue Gazza?)

2 The player takes a percentage - it used to be fixed but presumably is now negotiated by agents, though they used to forfeit that if they actually asked for a transfer (presumably in exchange for a signing on fee and a fat contract). If the player is out of contract, under the Bosman ruling, he is free to sell his services to the highest bidder which is why clubs sell players they would rather keep, while they can still rake in some cash.

The rest of the fee goes to the selling club. It is quite common now for small clubs to sell their best prospects to the biggies with a clause in the deal which entitles them to a share of any profit made by selling the player onto another club.

Basically what this has all led to is a massive divide between the rich and the poor, largely through the payments to Premier League clubs for TV rights so that probably only Man Utd could have bought those two players without selling some of their own. Notice that even Liverpool didn't really spend any money in the summer, even after winning 3 cups.

I think this is one aspect of sport that the US has actually got right to some extent, with the trading through the draft system helping to even things out a bit each year and making sure that no team can really dominate the league for any length of time. Still, they have to do SOMETHING to try to make their sports more interesting!

LG

quote:

Originally posted by abbot thong:

LG - is this on ESPN or UBC???

One on ESPN, one on Star Sports as far as I can tell, don't know which way round as they never reveal which games are on until the Saturday but there is a US site called TV-Soccer or something which has them up from Wednesday on. The Sunday/Monday/etc games are listed at Skysports.co.uk

LG -

Very good chance I will be at the H & H, assuming I can get permission from the "Mrs. to be" (Sat is her night). I wil try to drag her along.

Pleased to hear that Liverpool will be on at the other end of the pub. This means that the Arse-end should free of red, which will please me greatly.

And you - supporting the Gunners? Life's small wonders smile.gif" border="0

Assuming permission is granted, I will be there Sat with fiance, and with 500 baht in pocket for fantasy football. Thanks for bringing that together, by the way. Should make for good fun.

By the way, my #2 striker Grabbi (the so-called "bargain" striker) was concussed the other day against Barca - nice way to enter a new campaign.

Cheers,

froggo

Archived