Anyone got the new Journey album ?

gobbledonk

Hi All,

You may remember my post about Arnel, the Filipino singer plucked from obscurity to front Journey - I wondered how he was getting on and, despite reports of a racist backlash from some Journey fans ('dickheads' would be my term, not fan), it seems that he isnt doing too badly at all from this Rolling Stone review:

If a band sticks around long enough, it turns into a tribute band. For years, Journey have slogged around the oldies circuit with a rotating cast of singers trying to impersonate Steve Perry, who belted out the group's Seventies and Eighties hits. But this double-CD set, which also includes a live DVD, features the most unlikely Perry sound-alike yet: Arnel Pineda, a 40-year-old Filipino who spends an entire disc delivering note-for-note remakes of classics like "Don't Stop Believin'." On the second disc, Journey also pull off a tribute-band coup: some damn good originals. With guitarist Neal Schon in tow, the riff-heavy "Change for the Better" and the ballad "Like a Sunshower" hew to the formula that served the group well back in '81: Start with stately keyboard arpeggios, flavor with guitar heroics, top off with warbling, high-tenor choruses. It's pure schlock, but the craftsmanship is formidable, and there is undeniable pleasure in young-lovers-battling-the-odds arias like "Faith in the Heartland." The message remains the same: Hold on to that feeling

If you didnt like Steve Perry, chances are you wont like Pineda's vocals, but it still sends a shiver down my spine to hear a voice that so perfectly mimics that soaring, classic 80's sound. How many singers do you know who can do Lou Gramm or Simply Red note-for-note ? I'll be downloading this on iTunes tonite.

Gobble

Aaah, Mentors, I knew you would be along soon, and here you are ! :)

I liked the review because it was the first time that a critic was willing to admit that Journey were capable of coming up with something new and worthwhile. Its interesting that AC/DC put out the same stuff for 30 years (I saw them when I was in high school in the mid 70s - Bon had 6-inch platform shoes and looked like a runaway from Mott the Hoople ...) and critics applaud their consistency, yet almost every other band is required to reinvent themselves everytime they put out a new album.

Gobble

:wave:

same as the recent Motörhead Album, same stuff since 30 years.

The problem is, if a band try to change their own sound, all fans cry out.

If a band is playing same stuff since the stone age all reviewer and some fans cry out.

For me, sometimes it is it worth to make changing.

But many musicians have a limited skills, so they will play the same stuff over and over again.

Sometimes its better so, sometimes not.

i listen to the new Journey album and i like it.

Archived