Fairly dumb ATM question

ricosuave

Hi all, i wanted some advice about ATMs. On my last two trips i just bought a load of travellers cheques and cashed them when needed, however with the joy of the internet currency converter websites, i realised that i wasn't getting a good rate. When US dollars were 1.46 to the pound, the banks/post offices etc only offer me 1.40 to the pound. Not very good.

So this time im taking my credit cards in order to get cash advances on them, also can i use these cards (HSBC Visa and HSBC Mastercard) in the ATM machines. If so how much do they charge for each transaction, and do i use my regular pin number at the machine.

I know this is pretty dumb, but i need to know. Hope someone can help.

Rico

Yes you can use those cards in ATM'S in Thailand. You use your current pin number. Check with your own bank as to how much they charge per transaction. Oz banks charge $AUD4 each time you use an ATM outside of Oz. It is a flat $4 irrespective of the ammount withdrawn. I assume US/UK banks make a similar charge.

Cheers Hall

If you're using your visa or mastercard, don't. Just use your regular ATM card. My bank here in the US charges $1.00 for a transaction while my credit union here has no charge as I keep the balance up to a certain level. But I do recommend carrying a couple hundred in TC just in case.

Thanks for all your help, as usual this board provides a quick and useful response. Does anyone else from the UK have any problems with Sterling travellers cheques in Thailand. I know in Cambodia, my other destination this year, it can be very hard to change Sterling travellers cheques without paying unreasonable commission fees for cashing them.

Suave Ric,

Next time you come just bring GBP(you live in UK?)in travellers cheques, don't get overly concerned about the rate you exchange them at, it changes at least daily and sometimes more often. GBP are just as aceeptable for exchange as US dollars.

You could use an ATM but check what your bank adds for exchange commission.

quote:

Originally posted by ricosuave:

Thanks for all your help, as usual this board provides a quick and useful response. Does anyone else from the UK have any problems with Sterling travellers cheques in Thailand. I know in Cambodia, my other destination this year, it can be very hard to change Sterling travellers cheques without paying unreasonable commission fees for cashing them.

i use Halifax bank and was getting charged about £3 for every £100. just need to make sure you have Maestro or Cirrus which is switch equivalent. i always take sterling and change then when i need it, just need a reliable safe to put it in

Archived