Fairly dumb ATM question

ricosuave

Yeah my regular bank account card is Maestro/Cirrus. I think ill take the advice given and take 75% of my money in Sterling travellers cheques, and spend the other 25% off my ATM card, along with a few us dollars for the Cambodia border and those occasions where only the $ smiles. Cheers. I checked with my bank and they charge 1.5% (minimum £1.50) which isn't too bad. As a thank you, heres my reworking of Aquas 'Barbie girl', given a thai flavouring.

---------------------------------------------

Hi bargirl

Hi Kaa

Do you wanna go for a ride?

Sure kaa

Pay bar

Im a bargirl in a bar world

Life’s so plastic, its fantastic

Please don’t touch my hair, undress me everywhere

Imagination, this is your creation

Come on bargirl, let’s go party

Im a bargirl, in a bar world

Pay by plastic, that’s fantastic

Ive no pubic hair, you shaved me everywhere

I’m a dark bimbo girl, in your fantasy world

Lube me up, I’m so tight, I’m your dolly

You’re my doll, rock n roll, feel the glamour in pink

Kiss me here, suck me there, hanky panky

You can touch, you can play, if you pay, I’m always yours

Come on bargirl, lets go party

Ah ah ah yea

Uu ooh uu ooah

Ah ah ah yea

Uu ooh uu ooh….oh I come

Make me walk, make me talk, do whatever you please

I can act like a star and get down on my knees

Come jump in bimbo friend, let us do it again

Hi the town, fool around, lets go party

Im a bargirl in a bar world

Come on bargirl, let’s go party

Pay by plastic, that’s fantastic

Ive no pubic hair, you shaved me everywhere

Oh im having so much fun

Well bargirl were just getting started

Oh I love you kaa

I always take American Express sterling travellers cheques. Absolutely no problem in Pattaya.

Strangely, one gets a better exchange rate for cheques then for cash. I don't know why.

BTW. The Halifax only charge 1% for travellers cheques.

quote:

Originally posted by ricosuave:

Hi all, i wanted some advice about ATMs

Rico

One other thought: Make sure you have a 4 digit password.

The US banks (and maybe English?) will give you 5 digit passwords that will not work overseas. If you ask before you leave your country, they will change to a 4 digit password.

Two more points:

Using ATMs is the best way to assure that you won't be short-changed by an unscrupulous employee at the money exchange counters (as reported on this board in previous posts.)

Also, if you don't have an established history of using your credit card overseas, it is advisable to notify your credit card company of your travel plans so their fraud detection system won't send up a red flag and freeze your account.

Ultraviolet,

You get a signifigantly better exchange rate for TCs vs. cash in China as well. I am not a banker, but I would guess that the difference has to do with the fact that for a bank, handling cash requires more security and accounting controls than TCs.

JG

quote:

Originally posted by mikem:

Two more points:

Using ATMs is the best way to assure that you won't be short-changed by an unscrupulous employee at the money exchange counters (as reported on this board in previous posts.)

Also, if you don't have an established history of using your credit card overseas, it is advisable to notify your credit card company of your travel plans so their fraud detection system won't send up a red flag and freeze your account.

Excellent advice. I once had some asshole

steal my credit card number on a Friday night. By Sunday, Visa people called me at home and asked me if I had been charging jewelry to my account. Well, I've never been to Pittsburg but that didn't stop some asshole from charging about 7,000 bucks to my account between Friday night and Sunday afternoon. They cancelled my card on the spot and reissured me a new one a week latter.

A way to prevent the fraud detection system from trigging is to leave a paper trail of your trip. Charge all your hotels, taxis, resturants, etc to your card. Start as early as possible, such as paying your airport departure tax with the card. ALso pay for your flight on the same card. In my case I had not charged anything other than a watch battery to my card 8 months previous.

mad.gif" border="0

Dog,

A word of extra caution, however. Once you've notified your card issuer of your travel plans, and they've by-passed or modified their tracking of your cards usage, you're more exposed to the consequenses of loss, theft, or unscrupulous copying of your card information. You've got to be quicker to notify the company if something happens to your card because the company is less likely to detect it themselves.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by Shit-Spattered Dog:

Originally posted by mikem:

[qb]Two more points:

Excellent advice. I once had some asshole

steal my credit card number on a Friday night. By Sunday, Visa people called me at home and asked me if I had been charging jewelry to my account. Well, I've never been to Pittsburg but that didn't stop some asshole from charging about 7,000 bucks to my account between Friday night and Sunday afternoon. They cancelled my card on the spot and reissured me a new one a week latter.

A way to prevent the fraud detection system from trigging is to leave a paper trail of your trip. Charge all your hotels, taxis, resturants, etc to your card. Start as early as possible, such as paying your airport departure tax with the card. ALso pay for your flight on the same card. In my case I had not charged anything other than a watch battery to my card 8 months previous.

mad.gif" border="0[/QB]

quote:

Originally posted by gene1944:

One other thought: Make sure you have a 4 digit password.

The US banks (and maybe English?) will give you 5 digit passwords that will not work overseas. If you ask before you leave your country, they will change to a 4 digit password.

Gene,

This is incorrect. Depends on the ATM machine and whether it is connected to the international circuit such as Maestro or Cirrus etc. A few years ago most ATMs in Thailand weren't, these days most of them are. I have been using my 8 digit password for last 3 years but cannot use my card on some (minority) of the ATMs, regardless of the password size.

Cheers

Archived