Anybody know about 'Life Experience' Degrees from Trinity?

Savittre

Hi Guys,

There is an outfit, at www.trinity-college.edu, that offers degrees based on 'life experience'... OK, the point is, they claim their degree is good enough, for example, to get you into the States to work... I'm based in Taiwan, don't plan on staying here forever, I'll probably come down to LOS or Cambodia and teach a bit, after that, I'd like to be able to go wherever I want (e.g. Korea, Japan- anywhere) and have a degree that will stand up, let me work there. I don't think a fake degree from Khao San Rd. is going to cut it!, not for countries other than LOS smile.gif" border="0

Does anybody know how good Trinity is? They charge a lot ($500 US and up), I don't mind that, I just don't want to find out I got a useless piece of crap back from them!!

And, BTW, can anybody comment on the TEFL course offered in Rayong? I am going to do the TEFL, but I believe there are different organizations offering TEFL courses, and I want to do the authentic TEFL, the one that'll open doors for me!! TIA!! smile.gif" border="0

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: Savittre ]

The easiest way to find out if your degree will be any good is to call a reputable university and tell them you have a BA/BS from such and such...bla...bla...etc..and that you would like to apply for their masters program. If your degree is any good the university will accept it. But yes, 95% of those online/life experience degrees are worthless. I'm lucky the degree I received is accepted by every university I contacted so far... laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

Jaguar

It's a load of bullshit as to are most of these work at home ads, if you want a real degree send me a email and I'll do you one for beer.

Hi Jaguar,

Thanks, man, very kind of you...BTW, I am a beer drinker!!! The thing is, when you want to work legally in Taiwan, a part of the government (TECO- Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office) does the checking up, that the degree is authentic. Do you have anything in your bag of tricks that can handle that???

BTW, I'm in Bangkok tomorrow the 11th, until the 14th or 15th.... Thanks again for your offer, and I will be checking my e-mail in the LOS.

Hi Ajarnski,

Thank you for replying, and that is a really clever idea, putting the degree to the test by calling up other universities regarding their Masters program.

I really do need to sort something out regarding this, if you know where I can get an accepted degree, such as the one you have, I really could use the info! They're being tough about this in Taiwan right now, and you're barred from the island for 5 years if caught working illegally!

Have you got any info I could use?? Thanks!! smile.gif" border="0

Savittre

quote:

Originally posted by Savittre:

I really do need to sort something out regarding this, if you know where I can get an accepted degree, such as the one you have, I really could use the info!

Have you thought about actually studying and earning a real degree? Just might work ...

As for the Rayong TEFL course, have a look in the Trip Reports/Stories section for a week by week report by Itsmedave, called TEFL International Exposed!

LG

Thanks to all of you for your replies, and especially this quote from Long Gun:

--------------------------------------------

Have you thought about actually studying and earning a real degree? Just might work ...

As for the Rayong TEFL course, have a look in the Trip Reports/Stories section for a week by week report by Itsmedave, called TEFL International Exposed!

LG

--------------------------------------------

Yep, Long Gun, nothing would suit me more than earning a real degree... The lack of one is becoming more and more of a pain in the butt!! frown.gif" border="0

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Savittre ]

Try studying instead of cheating your way through the system. Although a degree is a piece of paper at the end of the day. I still resent the guys who did nothing for years to improve their life and think they can spend 2000 bhat at Koa San Road for a degree while others worked their ass off for years and went 10,000's of $$ in debt.

quote:

whosyourdaddy

-------------------------------------------------

Try studying instead of cheating your way through the system

Whoa there, Killer!! laugh.gif" border="0

Kindly read my post above, #115!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Regards,

Savittre laugh.gif" border="0

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: Savittre ]

quote:

Originally posted by whosyourdaddy:

Try studying instead of cheating your way through the system.

Sounds like a little resentment there that you spent so much money and time.

I wonder if that is because, at the end of the day, a lot of degrees really aren't much more than a piece of paper.

So many people in the UK are now going to University, particularly since all technical colleges and polytechnics became Universities that I'm not at all sure that they really mean as much as perhaps they used to.

I have met a lot of young graduates who are barely able to construct a written sentence.

I'm not endorsing the policy of purchasing fake degrees, but I can understand someone not wanting to spend three years of his life getting a piece of paper to enable him to do a job that in some cases he could already do quite competently.

Of course it seems a good idea that medical doctors don't have fake degrees. (Although in the numerous cases where doctors have found to be practicing fraudulently without any qualifications, the strangely common factor is that almost invariably they have performed their functions with utter competence. One fake doctor was only uncovered when he was given an award for excellent service.)

Similarly, engineering, law, and many other subjects would seem to require a formal degree.

But there are also a lot of people coming out of University with degrees in Ancient History, in Geology, in Film Criticism etc., for which the number of jobs available in the real world is miniscule.

I am not sure that if applying for a teaching job in Bangkok (for example), these people would automatically make better teachers than someone who got good GCSE / A-levels (UK) or decent SATs (U.S.) who decided instead to go out and earn a living.

Archived