About Looking for Work as an English Teacher...

Savittre

Is this a good time of year to be looking for an English teaching position? I think the schools do their hiring at certain times, am I right, and if so, when? And there may be certain times of the year when a lot of farang come looking for a few extra baht, too-

Or is the demand for teachers such that I don't really have to concern myself about it?

Thank you!!

Thanks for the reply, whosyourdaddy!

Actually, I have many years experience already teaching in Taiwan, and while I recognize teaching in LOS will be different, I'm kind of hoping I don't have to start off at the very bottom... so

--------------------------------------------

Is this a good time of year to be looking for an English teaching position? I think the schools do their hiring at certain times, am I right, and if so, when? And there may be certain times of the year when a lot of farang come looking for a few extra baht, too-

Or is the demand for teachers such that I don't really have to concern myself about it?

Thank you!!

---------------------------------------------

To Flashermac

I see that you are quite knowledgeable about teaching opportunities from your various posts and I was hoping that you might be able to tell me what my prospects would be in obtaining a decent position(60,000 baht monthly)teaching business related courses at an international school or university in Thailand.

I am 46 years old with a B.A. in History that also included 40 credits in Economics. In addition, I have an MBA from the U of Miami. I worked in banking for 10 years, primarily in the investor relations area-writing all the bank's financial publications and being the Wall Street contact person. For the past 5 years, I have been a stockbroker at a major US discount house. Some of my time there has been spent training new brokers in a classroom setting. Otherwise, I don't have any teaching experience.

I am ready to make a big change in my life and I would like to move to Thailand . Since my current position is a dead-end and I am divorced with no kids, there is limited downside risk. I've been to Thailand 5 times on vacation in the past 2 1/2 years but I only speak tourist Thai.I will be taking a one month vacation in May and I was hoping that I could do some groundwork before then and try to arrange interviews. I know that there are a lot more opportunities teaching English but earning 30,000 baht would be mai sanuk.I was hoping that my MBA might have some value ,but perhaps, its just wishful thinking. Any suggestions that you would have would be greatly appreciated. Desperately Yours,

Bob

Bob,

Your MBA is a qualification that suits the type of work you currently do / have been doing - but it really does not apply to teaching. Sorry to let you know that any good school would prefer someone with a dedicated teaching qualification...

The qualificaitons you have might help you to get a job as an economics / business studies lecturer or something like that.

Stick

quote:

Originally posted by bobl6:

[qb]I was hoping that you might be able to tell me what my prospects would be in obtaining a decent position(60,000 baht monthly)teaching business related courses at an international school or university in Thailand.

Bob

I think that the Stick has it right as far as the major international schools go - you might want to delay your move and work on getting some qualifications and a bit of experience first. Then again, there are so many international schools around nowadays I am sure there are some whose standards of recruitment aren't quite so strict. There could be problems related to work permits, though, if you are not properly qualified for the job you are doing in Thailand.

As far as your other qualifications are concerned, international schools offering a British curriculum will frequently offer courses in Business Studies and/or Economics at IGCSE (exams at 16) and Business Management and/or Economics at IB Diploma level. The biggest of these in Thailand would be Bangkok Patana which has a thriving and successful department. Unlike many, they don't tend to use recruitment fairs but recruit directly through ads in the Times Educational Supplement, usually in early Jan for an August/September start. The TES is available on the web at http://www.tes.co.uk

Patana's website is at http://www.patana.ac.th - worth a look!

Advantages of working somewhere like that? Good salary - way above Thai Unis and double or treble that of an EFL teacher, plus free housing, good medical cover, great holidays (paid), flights, bonuses, small classes, well-motivated students and in Patana's case, a superb working environment. Nice work if you can get it!

Similarly ISB, the main US school would offer some business and economics courses to their senior students – and pay about 3 times what you were looking for! WEbsite will be easy to find.

Most of the decent schools are members of ECIS - the European Council of International Schools - yes, it includes US system schools too. Go to this link and search for schools in Thailand and you will get a lengthy list with a detailed profile of each school and links to their websites. http://www.ecis.org

You should also look under 'Events' for the dates and venues of Recruitment Fairs. Many of the schools get their staff through these though there are notable exceptions, but there are very good reasons why you should register with ECIS, Search Associates or ISS for their recruitment fairs rather than contact schools direct. However, applying directly might give you an edge because the school will be able to offer you a local contract (probably on the same salary, but less benefits) and save themselves some money.

LG

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Long Gun ]

To Long Gun

Thanks for the detailed suggestions. I will check out the TES and Patana websites. Prior to my post,I had surfed the internet and found some of the international school websites, as well as ECIS and Search Associates. Unfortunately, both of those require two years of experience and a current teaching certificate to register. From the ECIS website,however, I was able to find a list of current Thailand openings. There was only 1=St.Stephens. Interesting enough, it said that the school itself was looking for an elementary teacher and that one should apply directly to the school.After looking at the school's website, there was a link to a list of international schools in Thailand=37 altogether.

Since I will not be taking my one month vacation until May, I was thinking that perhaps I could write to the various potential schools and see if I could at least arrange an interview while I am there. It seems that my only other alternative would be to quit my stockbroker job and attend a teacher certification program which lasts 14 months here in Arizona. Then if I were to teach for 2 years, I would be able to register with those special recruiting organizations.As both you and Stick point out, it would make me a much more fitting candidate. The unappealing part of that is that I am already 46 years old. Incidentally, I was looking at employment offerings on the web at Assumption (a catholic univ in Bangkok)and they had specific age limits=35 + 40 for their teacher opportunities. Is this typical in the field of international schools? I really do appreciate all your help and I hope to meet yourself and other board members in Woodstock in May. Thanks again.

Bob,

I highly recommend International School Bangkok(ISB). This school is the best and the most prestigious international school in Thailand. It's also the most expensive school of anykind in Thailand. They pay well with good benefits but they demand excellence with excellent qualifications. Try their website at www.isb.ac.th/ . smile.gif" border="0

Archived