Loy Krathong Sydney Tonight

Torneyboy

Looks like the bad weather held off ?

I was thinking of coming down from newcastle, but the weather forcast did n't look too good.

In the end I decided to give it a miss, as it's only another 24 days until the "real thing" ..(not that I'm counting or anything)

Nice! That's the way it used to be in Thailand. Schools and universities would always have a Nang Nopamas countest, plus there would be a competition for the best jumbo size krathong. After sunset, there would be a big procession to the river, with the beauty contestants leading the way and the boys following doing a raucus ramwong. The girls came next, holding their krathong. There was none of the fireworks and noise making of these days. That started in the mid 1980s. :(

It used to be funny / frustrating (depending on one's point of view) to watch your kratong sail away on the Nan River ... only to have some kid in the water sieze it for the big one baht coin everyone put in them. Some of the brats would even snuff out the candles and incense so they could sell the kratong to someone else! :shocked:

Archived