Thailand (Thai360.com) Philately Thread (Stamps of Thailand)

Central Scrutinizer

Waerth,

I had wanted to bring my collection with me to Thailand last time I was in the states so I could start up doing this again as a hobby. I forgot to pack it and left it back at my parents place. I may have my sister ship/mail it over, but it is quite heavy actually. I'll probably wait until this summer on my next trip over to bring it back with me this time.

Cent

p.s. In the back page of many comic books when I was a kid there were places you could send away for bags of stamps which were a mixture from around the world, some with stamps included that these days are worth a bit of money (it was quite a while ago I was sending away for these!).

Waerth,

I was also interested in collecting old coins and bills and have a decent collection. Another interest was fossils, the collection of which I no longer have as I think my mother tossed them out. Where I lived as a kid it was easy to find some really nice fossils of sea animals and plants. Hell, many I found in the sandy lot that was our school playground! The whole area was once a seabed.

Cent

Waerth,

I had wanted to bring my collection with me to Thailand last time I was in the states so I could start up doing this again as a hobby. I forgot to pack it and left it back at my parents place. I may have my sister ship/mail it over, but it is quite heavy actually. I'll probably wait until this summer on my next trip over to bring it back with me this time.

Do not bring them to Thailand unless you can put them in a room with a low humidity. I had some problems with fungy at some stamps when I lived in Surinam (same humidity levels as here).

Waerth,

Good point. A large cigar humidor might do the trick. I'll look into it some. How did you have the stamps stored? Small zip-lock individual plastic bags? Or just the older celluloid or plastic open sided stamp protectors? I think the zip-lock ones might be good for this sort of thing. I'll check it out and read up on how to protect stamps in humid climates.

Cent

The little bookstore/convenience store inside the Nana hotel used to sell pre-packaged sets of old Thai/Siam currency and coins, and they may have sold some stamp sets as well.

They probably still do, I just haven't been there in a while to confirm it.

Yeah, probably the most common of common coins and stamps were in those overpriced sets; but I thought I should at least share what little I know. :)

-=/NN

Archived