Thailand (Thai360.com) Philately Thread (Stamps of Thailand)

Central Scrutinizer

"Philately is the study and collecting of revenue and postage stamps. This includes the design, production and uses of stamps after they are authorized for issue, usually by government officials such as postal authorities. Philately is the distinct activity of studying stamps, which may or may not include stamp collecting. For instance, some philatelists will study extremely rare stamps without expecting to own copies of them, whether because of cost, or because the sole survivors are in museums. Conversely, stamp collecting itself is the acquisition of stamps, at times without regard for origin or usage." -taken from Wiki.

Here is a thread about Thai stamps and stamp collecting. I've been a collector since I was a kid, but had stopped years ago. I have since, after coming across my stamp collection in my parents attic this past year, renewed my interest in this stuff. It is an interest of mine and hopefully possibly others here as well. We'll see. I'll post a few things in here and show what stamps from Thailand I had collected decades ago as a young boy interested in the wide world. Stamp collecting showed me the different countries of the world through my collecting the stamps from various countries I had never heard of before. It had me poring through encyclopedias and maps to see exactly where in the world these exotic and strange countries were. It is one hobby I believe that gave me an interest in traveling and other cultures from a young age. Which, to me, is a good thing to get children interested in, and stamp collecting is a nice 'safe' hobby for children and adults to indulge in.

I'll add some pics and descriptions of Thai stamps I have in my own youthful collection (begun in the late 1950s), and will add links here to websites of interest on this subject.

Cent

Mentors,

Is it Thailand related? No. What's your point?

This thread will be about Thailand stamps, which is a genuine hobby and serious collector's and amateur's may find it of interest. The thread will be specifically about stamps of Thailand, of which there are many beautiful examples, some quite rare and worth a lot of money. Many Thais and farangs collect stamps, and more specifically, stamps from Thailand. They are, in the mind of some, works of art that also show cultural aspects of a country and its history.

Now, if you have autographs from the king, the royal family, any prime minister, Thai movie, tv, and pop stars, yes, that would be a good thread. :) The Yul Brenner autograph would be of interest to some Thai-o-philes due to his portrayal of one royal in the plays/musical and movie. :-)

Cent

p.s. The new site, formerly known as NP.com, is now Thai360.com. The purpose of this change was to be able to show a wider range of subjects on Thailand. The '360' means 360 degrees of Thailand subject matter. So all things Thai should be able to find a place here now, at least that is what I think is going on here and the reason for the change a while back.

Archived