Is this type of job available in LOS?

hawaiijohn

I am a clinical social worker who has extensive experience (22 years) in providing public mental health services to folks with a broad range of neuroses and psychoses as well as maintaining a private practice for people with health insurance that covers psychiatric services. I also have experience in EAP (Employee Assistance Program) counseling for corporations. Is there any demand for this type of service in LOS? Any feedback appreciated.

There are approximately half a zillion mentally insane taxi drivers, a quarter of a million (mini) bus drivers beyond hope of mental recovery and a fair collection of politicians who are desparately in need of your services.

But seriously; I have the impression that mental healthcare in Thailand is not really developed.

peesooahbkk,

Do you have the phone number of Community Services og BKK? I hear they are a clearinghouse of volunteer work/projects which I want to check out?

hawaiiJohn,

You have good intentions, but you have two major strikes against you. 1. Your field is culturally sensitive so you clearly need to have a backgound in Thai ways/understanding. And 2. Like health, safety and Environment(my career field), mental health has yet to make in-roads in this developing/newly industrialized country. There is no demand yet in the marketplace (different from real need/demand) and thus no financial worth or recognized value (meaning payment to you if valued as a service/product). I hope you understand my drift. Some years still away unless you are willing to be on the cutting edge w/o little or no financial compensation to you (at least to begin with). Best of luck.

cardinalblue

I have a friend here in BKK who is an Italian MD with a specialty in psychiatry. He does part-time on-call work with Community Services of Bangkok. Most of his work is with addiction and recovery cases. Even as a full MD of Psychiatry, he cannot make a living off this (but he is retired, and does this to supplement his income, and to stay active).

Best way to start might be to pay an introductory visit to a hospital such as Bumrungrad, and introduce yourself and present your credentials. Then indicate that you would be available as a freelancer, for consultations.

I would think that you can make a complete practice here without speaking Thai, just by serving the needs of the ex-pat community. I know that embassy staffs and NGO staffs here have family members who require counseling assistance. I suspect that they would prefer to deal with a westerner who understands where they are coming from.

But - I do not think that a newcomer to Bangkok would do well early in his residence here. A lot of the job would involve helping people adjust to and deal with life in Thailand - if you are in theprocess of doing that yourself, you will not be in much position to advise people expertly.

"Let the good times roll!"

Bangkok Butterfly

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Since I don't speak fluent Thai, I guess I had the English speaking community in mind. Do these folks have health insurance from abroad or do they sign up with Thai insurance programs? Do any western insurance companies have offices in Thailand?

Western insurance companies are present here, but mostly in combination with other local operations. Royal-Sun alliance is presented here. Ayudhaya CMGH has just merged with (bought by?) allianz etc.

Even if you want to address the english speaking community then you should have a fair amount of experience in living in Thailand. I guess that most of the mental problems that need treatment are problems adapting to the way of life in this country.

Archived