thai banking accounts in US.

I was wondering if any Thai bank had a branch office in the US where I could start an account. I want to set up my direct deposit for my retirement checks and establish a history with a Thailand bank for future referance.

Spud

I am not sure about the answer to your question but I have some related information. That is, it may be to your disadvantage to do the direct deposit from a tax point of view, if you are planning on retiring in Thailand. You might want to check this web site http://www.pwcglobal.com/th/eng/ins-sol/spec-int/tls/living_arrival.html.

Also, I would be happy to share information with you since I am planning to retire in Thailand from US. Send me a PM and we can discuss.

I lived in the US. I tried stuff like this, but the thai banks with branches in New York refused to open an account as they were there to service largely business customers.

The big international banks said it was of no help as the banks in Thailand were separate entities and I could not transfer my account to the Thailand branch.

What I did was just tell my existing New York branch that my address changed to Thailand. I get my statements here in Thailand, my ATM card works, and they hooked me up with internet banking (which I never logged into).

<<burp>>

All--

I've had this conversation with TFB's office in LA some time ago. The long and short of it is that none of the thai banks that maintan offices in the US will be able to open an account for you FROM the us... Why? It's beacuse under us banking law the act of "opening" an account falls under banking activities and the office would need to comply with all the various banking rules and regualtions (lie FDIC insurance and capital requirements)..

These overseas office are actually administrative offices designed to handle "customer service" and other "non-regualted banking activities"... For example, when I send them a check, the LA office is merely gurantees funds (so that the Bangkok branch doesn't need to wait weeks for payment) and then forwards it Bangkok for immediate deposit into my account there.

My best advice is to open your account IN bangkok and then arrange for regular deposits from the US.. This will help build your "credit" with the bank rapidly.

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Archived