How Mr Westfallen woke up as Mr Happy Spanners

The_Munchmaster

Divorce, drunkenness and in one case the desire to be legally recognised as Mr Happy Adjustable Spanners led record numbers of Britons to change their name this year.

More than 46,000 people altered their identity by deed poll during 2008, a 15 per cent rise on the number of people who became someone else last year.

Many limited themselves to a practical change, reverting to a maiden name after a marital breakdown. For others the alteration signalled a more radical personal revolution.

In Essex there is now a man named General Ninja Ant, who believes that his name change has helped him to become more assertive after years of bullying.

In Devon a former company director who was once named Janice Glover became Saxon Knight: the change signalling her new life in retirement, and her deep sense of patriotism. â??I chose Saxon because I love the UK,â? Mrs Knight said. â??The other option was Norman but thatâ??s a manâ??s name.â?Â

In Derby a gentleman once known as Aron Brown now answers to Aron Mufasa Columbo Fonserelli Ball In A Cup Boogie Woogie Brown, a name that represents his large range of interests. A higher number of divorces appears to be behind most name changes, but Mike Barrett, chief executive of the UK Deed Poll Service, said that the rise was due in part to the increasing use of the agencyâ??s online service.

The ability to apply to change oneâ??s name from a computer or mobile phone at any time appears to have contributed, indirectly, to some of the more exotic name changes, despite the £33 charge.

Nâ??Tom The Haymaker Haywardyou-liketocomebacktomine, 19, a student from Leicestershire, cannot recall the exact moment he applied to change his name. When he received a letter through the post confirming the change - from Tom Hayward - he concluded that he had been moved to alter his name late one evening, after returning from a club.

He is broadly happy with his changed circumstances, though it has led to at least one awkward encounter with the police, after his house was robbed. â??The WPC gave me a strange look when I signed my name,â? he said.

Happy Adjustable Spanners, 27, from Hornchurch, Essex, also changed his name under the influence of alcohol, after a bet. Formerly Daniel Westfallen, he is now trying to get to grips with his new situation. For some, the motivation was a general yearning for a happier life.

His determination â??not to take life too seriouslyâ? led Garry Fisher to adopt the name on a false ID featured in a US teen movie. â??I donâ??t really know what got into my head actually,â? said Mc Lovin, 26, a refrigerator engineer from Dorset.

Mr Lovin told The Times: â??Most of my friends thought it was funny, the only thing was I was about to start a new job. I was taken round all the departments of the company, being introduced to everyone. That was a bit embarrassing. I had to say, â??My nameâ??s not Garry, itâ??s Mc Lovinâ??.â?Â

Archived