Money Money Money

quote:

Originally posted by PhaJaNa:

Open a bank account in Thailand and put your money there .Before your holiday you can send money to your account.

So you don't have to exchange anything and you don'thave to carry too much cash with you.
crazy.gif" border="0

If you are not a Thailand resident, how can you open a bank account before your holiday. I know there are some Thai banks with brances in the US, and some US banks (Citibank) with brances in the US, but money deposited in the US in these banks are not always available in Thailand.

I rely on 2 bank ATM cards (I had a bank in Peru 'eat' one when I had no reliable backup), about 300 $US in Amex travelers checks, and a couple of $US 100 bills for backups for a 2 week holiday. I average spending about 6,000 baht per day including hotels.

Shotover

Don't ever rely on ATMs. I've lived in Thailand for years and have had two ATM cards eaten for no good reason. Takes days or weeks, depending on the bank, to get one back, because of bureaucracy. Traveler's checks get better exchange rates than cash; banks in the U.S. will often give you free traveler's checks if you have an account with them.

quote:

Originally posted by MrTudball:

The last thing I want to be is short on cash for the trip, any advise would greatly be appreciated.

The best value for money option is to bring US$ travellers cheques with you. ATMs are a readily available option, but you'll get a better rate of exchange in Thailand than a US bank will give you on an ATM or credit card transaction. As previous postings say, you can use credit cards and ATMs all over the place, but the exchange rate will be set back home and probably not as good.

Current Thai Bank rate is around 43baht to the dollar ....

Bangkok Bank Exchange Rates

Archived