What Bank is best

Hi All,

Shortly (and hopefully) I will be joining the ranks of english teachers in Bangkok.

Obviously I will need to open a Bank Account.

Which banks are the easiest to get an account with and what documentation would I need to take in with me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Kevan

Kevan,

Three years ago (don't know about now)private language schools eg ECC, Siam etc. required you to open a bank a/c with a specific bank - the one they had their finances with. You couldn't just choose any old one. As I worked p/t, 2 different schools, I ended up with 2 a/c's, different banks. My girlfriend had three.

Good Luck

Hi Kevan

Monochrome man is quite right. Most employers here will credit transfer your salary into a bank which they will stipulate. This not such a bad thing as Thai banks don't seem to have quite got a hold on inter-bank transfers yet!

No harm in opening a second account at a bank of your own choice though.

I would tend to disagree with Mentors suggestion of KrungThai though. They are a government bank with a pretty bad service rep (though they do have some major branches open on Saturday) Yhai Farmers enjoy a fair rep though. Other banks under foreign ownership (and therefore more service orientated than the Thai banks IMO) are Bank of Asia ('mini-branches' at skytrain stations are open till 8.00pm I think and all are open on Saturdays) and Standard Chartered.

When I first arrived here (5 years ago), a passport was all that was required to open an account. However, last year there was a 'crackdown' in order to combat money laundering schemes and new accounts were required to produce work permits. That seems to have petered out and it now seems to be a hit and miss affair with requirements differing, not only from bank to bank but also branch to branch.

It will take you time to get established and even longer to process your work permit. Most banks that hold out for a work permit will accept a copy of your contract with a covering letter from your employer.

Good luck in your new career.

Arai wa

I don't have a work permit so which branch accepts new accounts (savings) without the WP?

I live near Phrom Phong BTS. suk 26, and I'm not working!

My money will be transferred from the U.S. on a regular basis.

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Blackie ]

> I don't have a work permit so which branch accepts new accounts (savings) without the WP? I live near Phrom Phong BTS. suk 26, and I'm not working!

I opened an account last week at the Thai Farmers Bank on Soi 39 (across the street from Soi 24). It took about 10 minutes and all I had to show was my passport. They gave me an ATM card on the spot and the bank's SWIFT code for transferring funds.

JGA

quote:

Originally posted by Blackie:

[QB]I don't have a work permit so which branch accepts new accounts (savings) without the WP?

I live near Phrom Phong BTS. suk 26, and I'm not working!QB]

Hi Blackie,

There is a Bangkok Bank opposite Soi 30 HOWEVER that place is always unbelievably crowded especially on Mondays and Fridays and the first week ofthe month.

Good news is that Bangkok Bank just opened up a new branch at the Emporium (--walk around the front stairs next to the parking exits and you can see it) and it has at most 3 or 4 people in it the 4 or 5 times I have used it. The staff has been friendly.

smile.gif" border="0

Archived