What Bank is best

Bangkok Bank is the best for a couple of reasons:

1: More branches, so you will live and work near one of them

2: More ATM's. There is an ATM Pool which let you use a card from any of the Thai Banks without a charge, but only for 3 times per month. Bangkok Bank has almost twice as many ATMs as the next Bank, so you are normally near one of them

I've used all the Thai banks, and BBL may be unfriendly, but it is more convenient.

davedave

gene1944

thanx for the tip re BKK Bank at Emporium, it opens at 0730 till 2000hrs.

Cost of intl ATM card was 250B

TFB, opposite was 300B.

A passport was all that was required.

I'd say Thai Farmer's Bank is the best, up to date, thai bank. Check with your school though, as mentioned - probably can only transfer to certain banks. Don't forget foreign banks - You should also look at HSBC (my fave), and Standard Chartered are also well regarded all over asia. And yes, Citibank sucks.........

if you have ATM cards, they'll work in almost any bank ATM anywhere of course.....

good luck

coops

• 4 weeks later...

Your school will most likely have an agreement with a major bank to deposit your pay into an account at that specific bank..

I personally use TFB.. Their service is excellent.. I can email questions, and since they have offices in the US (LA & NY) I can make US$ deposits and get next day crediting.. You should have no real problem getting an account even if you don't have a work permit.. Like MANY things in BKK if you LOOK right then they may just look the other way regarding the rules and give you an account.. no questions asked!

Have baht will travel.. Have baht will open account.

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0

Just to clarify the document query: If you want to open a savings account, you should be able to do this at most all Thai banks with only a passport. As noted, it is an easy process, and takes all of ten minutes.

If you want to open a checking account, however, most Thai banks will want a copy of your work permit. From my experience, checking accounts are not all that useful here. Best to probably go the savings account route.

Enjoy your career here. I am sure your students will put a smile on your face.

froggo

Jack--

It CAN be done.. The only trick is that TFB is a "non-depository" bank in the US.. that means that they don't accept any deposits because they don't have a banking license and don't carry mandatory federal insurace (FDIC/FSLIC).. So then you're asking what the hell is the purpose of the TFB offices.. Well, they are basically "administrative offices".. They can ask as your intermediatary when you have problems with your account or need help.. They'll call/cable BKK for you so you don't have to call yourself..

Now, about your transfer.. What TFB will do (as they do for ALL of their Thailand-bound deposits) is have you wire/send the $$ to a BofA account that is under TFB's name.. Then TFB will instruct BofA to wire it to TFB in BKK.. This way TFB in the US never actually "holds" your money, thus they are not breaking banking law.. It's all transparent to you.. All you do is call TFB and ask for the "fed funds wire instructions"

Hope this helps!

--UPSer

PS: I make bi-weekly deposits from one of my us bank accounts to my TFB account.. I've got it set up on "auto-pay"... laugh.gif" border="0

Archived