SWEDISH MAN DROWNS ON JOMTIEN BEACH

Central Scrutinizer

SWEDISH MAN DROWNS ON JOMTIEN BEACH

On the afternoon of 14th January a 61 year old Swedish man drowned on Jomtien Beach. A rescue team tried to resuscitate him, but he didnâ??t survive.

At 3.00 pm Pattaya police investigator Pol. Lt. Col. Anuchet Katsomboon of the Dongtan Beach branch, received a report that a tourist had drowned at Jomtien Beach near the Pattaya Windsurfing Association. Police and a rescue team were despatched to the scene.

On the beach, police found many onlookers gathered near the rescue team which was giving artificial respiration and to Mr. Lonnart Nilsson who was lying on the beach dressed in black shorts and no shirt. Police found no evidence of any harm or attack.

An eye witness, Mr. Kim Johann Postholm [29] told police that while he was swimming in the sea, about 30 metres away from the beach, he had spotted Mr. Nilsson in the water facing down and motionless. He swam to help and carried the victim to beach. He presumed that the victim had been drowning for about 10 minutes.

While the rescue team was trying to help, the victim's friends were in tears as they ran over to see him. One of his friends said, Mr. Postholm was a very nice guy and he'd been in Pattaya for more than a month. He had been swimming alone and police suspected he may have got cramp or the water was very cold.

However his body will be sent for autopsy and the Swedish embassy will be informed accordingly.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.php?IDNEWS=0000008236

Poor chap. RIP.

My first day in Thailand on Koh Samui I saw a guy drown on Chewang beach. The rescue services took a long time to arrive (about 30 minutes). I'd been on the beach of all 2 minutes when I saw them pull him out of the sea. People tried to revive him, but to no avail.

Very sad.

Archived