Ex-PM and Bangkok governor Samak and aides named in Japanese bribe scandal

Central Scrutinizer

Ex-PM and Bangkok governor Samak and aides named in Japanese bribe scandal

The Nation 16.01.2009 15:48

Former Bangkok governor Samak Sundaravej, his deputy and several officials have been implicated in another bidding scandal that saw four company officials arrested in Japan earlier this week.

"We hope the Foreign Affairs Ministry and the Office of the Attorney General will contact their Japanese counterparts for more information on this case," Democrat MP Chanchai Issarasenarak said yesterday.

As a member of the House anticorruption committee, he chairs a panel to investigate the bribery scandal surrounding Nishimatsu Construction Company.

"The case is now in the hands of the National Anti-Corruption Commission," Chanchai said.

On Wednesday, four former Nishimatsu executives were arrested in Japan reportedly for paying money to Bangkok Metropolitan Administration officials in 2003 to win the bidding for an infrastructure project.

http://www.thainewsland.com/?l=en&a=376871

What I find most curious about these cases is that while the foreignor who paid or allegedly paid a bribe is arrested back in his home country, the Thai official who allegedly received the bribe is not.

Look at TAT Case where a Hollywood producer and his wife were arrested in LA for violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices because they allegedly paid US$1.8 million in kick backs to the former Gov of TAT. They are charged with 21 counts, face 5 years on each FCPA count (meaning they could spend the rest of their lives in a federal custody), and are supposed to go to trial on 21 April of this year.

I don't have any sympathy for them, but I find it amazing that no charges have been filed by the Thai authorities against the purported recipient of the bribes. Indeed, she "threatened to sue anyone implicating her in the case." Amazing Thailand.

What I find most curious about these cases is that while the foreignor who paid or allegedly paid a bribe is arrested back in his home country, the Thai official who allegedly received the bribe is not.

Look at TAT Case where a Hollywood producer and his wife were arrested in LA for violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices because they allegedly paid US$1.8 million in kick backs to the former Gov of TAT. They are charged with 21 counts, face 5 years on each FCPA count (meaning they could spend the rest of their lives in a federal custody), and are supposed to go to trial on 21 April of this year.

I don't have any sympathy for them, but I find it amazing that no charges have been filed by the Thai authorities against the purported recipient of the bribes. Indeed, she "threatened to sue anyone implicating her in the case." Amazing Thailand.

The Thai way is cheaper. No prosecution cost and the results are generally the same.

Archived