I.T. work in Thailand wanted.

I am coming to Thailand at the end of the year and will be staying for a couple of years. I work in the I.T. industry in Australia and am looking to get work in Thailand as a trainer, consultant or technician. I am certified in NT, Windows 2000, Backoffice and know all facets of pc support, tear down, etc, etc. Any ideas where I should begin?.

Get an expatriate position.

If not then learn to speak, read and write Thai fluently, expect to earn a couple of hundred US dollars a month salary, oh yeah, you need a work permit which you need to have the company that decides to employ you can arrange if they can get one. I assume you are incredibly experienced as well as there are lots of local people who can do this.

Apart from that the standard tourist visa is 3 months for each entry, and it is illegal to work on a tourist visa. With the current climate and proposed changes to the visa system you are going to need all the luck you can get if you think you can stay 2 years.

Check out the Bangkok post for ads, they are mainly for Thai Nationals only, and if one is available for foreigners, expect to travel for the interview.

Have you been to Thailand before, how old are you and what are your motives for wanting to do IT here. You can earn far more elsewhere and have better career prospects. If you think you can earn quick bucks and get laid all the time then you are better off staying where you are.

That's the facts

quote:

Originally posted by Swishtz:

Get an expatriate position.

Swishtz,

You are a little harsh on the guy, but I would have given the same "cut the crap" advice as I do to my friends.......

Harsh! He was doing research, wasn't he?! If I were doing research, then asking questions on appropriate discussion groups would probably be one of my avenues of investigation..

Having said that, it does seem to be hard to find it work ad-hoc in Thailand, but I've known people who have, so it isn't impossible. But it's a mysterious process and they seem to be at a loss to say how they did it. Try hanging around swanky ex-pat business haunts and buying drinks for people??

If you just want to spend a lot of time in Thailand, you might be better off working as a consultant in Australia for six months on, six months off.

Personally I agree with Swishtz.

The fact that a significant percentage of IT folks tend not to have the same social skills as other occupations, and that these type of people have a tendency of showing up in places like Thailand just adds to the competition. Especially when it can be hard for a Thai to differentiate the total package from someone who is only playing with half a deck.

Secondly this guy didn't put up a really unique marketable skill. Is he going to train Thais? They would most likely feel more comfortable being instructed in Thai than having to deal with learning new technical language while translating from English to Thai. The Thai instructor is also going to work for small baht.

Consultant? Who is he going to consult to? Expats? In the business world, if I was an expat I would want a guy who speaks Thai as most of my support staff would most likely be more comfortable speaking in Thai. There are expat IT guys that speak both languages so he strikes out here. (not to mention the Thai guys who can speak english)

Technician? No comment.

What's so harsh about that? It's the truth.

<<burp>>

[ September 03, 2001: Message edited by: gummigut ]

I'm in IT, top gun in enterprise computing, still hands on.

I would say that NT and other skills that you can buy a book on in a bookstore and teach youself are also acessible to everyone - thus a flood of qualified locals who make the Microsoft certified professionals look like a commodity. (Lucky me to jump the ship in 1995 and switch to Unix).

My company has an office in BKK, 15 people there. Got friendly with one of them and said that the money I would want if I was to move to BKK should be comparable to what I get in Australia. 4 million Bahts, plus apartment and other perks.

He almost fainted and said that the entire office was not paid that much a year, altogether. If I wanted to move over there I would have to go through corporate in the US and only they could (and do) pay that much. But, then it starts: I'll have to do all the work, the locals would know what money I am on (roughly) and will dump everything on me.

Just to add - I'm in an unique field and every month somebody from Oz goes to BKK to consult and set up big multi million installations.

Hope it strucks me one day :-)

quote:

Originally posted by bibblies:

He was doing research, wasn't he?

Thank you bibblies, and no thank you Swishtz. Actually this fellow is a mate of mine and was innocently taking a first step into finding out some info. Admitedly he's told me that the comments from the first poster Swishtz had totally deterred him from this board in light of the pure arrogance shown. I recommended this board as a starting point for him to get some info on what is availiable here in his field.

Construtive criticism is one thing, but blatent arrogance is another.

Archived