Canyon Ride

Ryder

Well the idea of spending a month in Ranong soon cooled when I took in the full 'backwater' vibe to the place.

Nonetheless I still saw that there were a few sights to take in before I risked my neck on the return trip north.

Here's the canyon scouting mission:

If you hang a left coming into ranong at the signs for 'SPRINGs/HOT WATER SPRINGS' you follow this road. You'll pass signs indicating turn right for the Hot Springs. A glut of speed bumps are here so try and elude or slow down for them.

After here you'll go onto a winding and wending valley road.

P1030508.jpg

P1030505.jpg

It's narrow so be wary. A ton of construction wagons were toing and froing back and forth as well.

The road starts to get a bit shitty and some evil potholes are present on the last 1/3 of corners.

You should pass a Mad Max style off-roader and then a temple sign will appear and you need to slow down here, as there's MORE speedbumps!

After this keep following the signs for the Canyon. If memory serves me you'll reach a T-Junction, turn right and head up the hill. You are on the Canyon Trail, get your lean on!

P1030511.jpg

P1030512.jpg

You are now truly in the wilderness, miles from nowhere and it's you versus the road. Don't screw up as the is hardly any traffic:

P1030517.jpg

P1030531.jpg

Be wary of this corner, the 'uphill lane' (left hand is dirt only and cars use it.)

P1030554.jpg

But the views are worth the risk.

P1030525.jpg

The road keeps on going and pretty I had a glimmer of a real gem of a location: (more on this later).

P1030538.jpg

I pass it by, determinded to see the canyon out before resting...

Once past this there's a small village with curious little thais wondering what the Ryder is up to.

It's strange as they have all these nuts from the trees arranged in a quirky way along the road edges. I guess it passes the time and gives passers-by something to look at!

I hope I don't have to crunch over to many of them on a corner! :)

P1030529.jpg

P1030526.jpg

Just after the above picture was taken the road bends around to the right and become a near-impassible trail. I could of wended the CBR down it but it didn't really appeal to me as the trees were dense and getting good photo ops was less and less likely that way.

I returned to the lake, which I nickname Lake Eden as it has original charm and is remote with an esoteric feel. Untouched by the mass tourism elsewhere:

P1030545.jpg

P1030542.jpg

A few buildings off to the side of the road sell treats and snacks.

P1030551.jpg

But once you leave the road it's like entering another space entirely...

P1030550.jpg

P1030549.jpg

P1030548.jpg

The place is a paradise, but not so much once you spend awhile there.

If you look closely at the buildings you can see the roof's are built low, for the sun sets directly over the stone crags surrounding the lake hitting you right in the eyes and the buildings behind you.

With little cover from the sun the lake is a real heat reflector. On a cloudy day though it would be ideal but at mid-day and afternoon it's a heatray!

It was nearly mid-day and the burn was setting in. I grabbed a drink from one of kids (who must surely enjoy being up here to play around) who ran the shop/building.

It was time to move on and leave Eden Lake behind.

P1030552.jpg

A salt-of-the-earth ranger walked past the bike waving, I waved back and rode off to see where the next adventure was. :D

Archived