Teaching English to Japanese

Crash999

I teach at ECC. Amongst my workload I have two private Japanese students who I teach for a total of 5 hours a week.

Whilst the school does not specialize in teaching to Japanese it does, amongst its customer base, have a lot of Japanese students. Mostly they, or more often their employers,pay high prices for one to one tuition rather than attend a class.

I would expect this situation to be mirrored in most large schools especially those situated close to industrial areas.

I think a lot of schools would want an English teacher fluent in Japanese to concentrate on teaching students from that country.

An English friend of mine recently spent 10 days here in Thailand visiting with his Japanese girlfriend. He lives and works full-time in Japan teaching English. Invariably, the question came up as to what the demand is for English teachers.

The demand is always strong but, as we all know, the pay is often very low. He has an interesting advantage, however, in that he is completely fluent in Japanese and has experience teaching English to Japanese for many years.

I know that a lot of Japanese multinationals use English as their business language so I was wondering if there are any schools here in Thailand that specialize in teaching English to Japanese expats.

Any other ideas as to how he could use his Japanese fluency and teaching skills to land something here?

Cheers!

Archived