Police search for Internet madam after busting three teenage hookers

Ed Zeppelin

Nok is accused of recruiting beautiful young girls to her ring by prowling the socialnetworking website Hi5 and advertising for customers with online ads.

In an undercover operation, police contacted Nok and asked her to send three teenagers to a resort restaurant on Thursday night.

Three girls dressed in spaghettistrap blouses and hot pants arrived, whereupon the policemen identified themselves. The girls broke into tears and admitted to selling sex.

The girls, aged 18 and 19, were charged with prostitution.

One of them is a parttime model who studies in an international programme at a private university.

"My parents send me Bt20,000 each month, but I always overspend," she said. "I've taken five jobs from Nok in the past."

Pol Colonel Chatchai Worakul, who heads the Metropolitan Police Bureau's Centre for Children, Juveniles and Women, said Nok asked her girls to place Bt500 in her bank account each time they received payment from a customer.

"These girls have never seen Nok. They've never even talked to her on the phone," Chatchai said.

Police said the bank account used by Nok identified her as a 27yearold woman.

"We're going after her," a police investigator said.

Meanwhile, Office of Youth Promotion and Protection director Usanee Kangwanjit said many youths now voluntarily entered the flesh trade.

"Those under 20 tend to think premarital sex is common, and many express an interest in changing sleeping partners to try something different," she said.

In a related development, Chulalongkorn University childdevelopment lecturer Sompong Jitradab said parents should monitor their children.

"Their children owning expensive items may be an indicator," Sompong said.

He also called on children to think about the consequences of their actions.

"Even though you may have a lot of money to spend today, prostitution may take away so many good things from your life," Sompong said.

He also encouraged universities to include a lifeskills course for freshmen students.

"We should teach them selfsufficiency and human dignity," he said.

By The Nation

Published on February 7, 2009

Archived