Ironic Junk Mail

RayRay

I was going through some snail mail that had accumulated on my last trip away from home. Came across a great piece of irony. The back of the envelope has some marketing phrases printed on the back. Bold type is as seen on the envelope, not my emphasis:

"One phone call

One predictable monthly payment

One fast way

to help you get out of debt"

So what is so ironic about this you may ask? Well I've been out of debt for several years now. No credit cards, no house payment, no student loans, nada. Who sent this piece of junk mail? Drum roll please.... BANK OF AMERICA.

Hey assholes whose stock has shitted away 85% of its value; don't be giving me any of your "expert advice".

This year is the only time I ever applied for a credit card. I applied and received a Southwest Airlines MasterCard. As I am flying multiple times a year on Southwest. Just for the points. And I applied for a Discover card - just for the free Garmin GPS. I got the free Garmin.

I have or had about a dozen MasterCard Visa American Express.

I never applied for any of them. One time, when a young adult, I went to bank and applied for 'overdraft protection' for my one checking account. I had previously made an arithmetic error of about $12.00 and the fine was $35.00. So I wanted to avoid this happening again.

What I got in the mail from the bank? A MasterCard (and overdraft protection). I never applied for this first credit card. But got one anyway. In those days all Bank of America (Visa) and MasterCards came from local banks.

Since then, I kept receiving 'offers' and that I was 'preapproved' - just sign and mail in.

Now I got around a dozen or so. At one time I had 4 CitiBank MasterCard/Visa. One had a credit limit of $17,000.00 and another had a credit limit of $500.00. Now figure out that marketing scheme from CitiBank.

A couple have been cancelled for 'inactivity'. And I cancelled any that required an annual fee.

Lately, though, the offers for credit cards has vanished for me.

Now, some will state that having too many credit cards lowers ones credit score.

I checked my credit score number recently and it came back from all three agencies as 843, 852, and 878. And why all the numbers (scores) different - if they are all looking at the same stuff.

Archived