Just when you think you've seen it all from airlines!

dean

I flew China airlines from LAX to BKK last week and back (short trip). No complaints about the actual flight but I encountered a problem with my luggage a check in. My two checked bags were fine; at 50 pounds apiece. They, however, wanted to weigh my carryon. Because I generally take quite a bit to my house in Chaing Mai, I put anything heavy in my carry on, as they don't weight it. Not anymore. They allow 7 kilos for a carryon (I believe that mine weighs 3-4 kilos empty) and mine wieghed 17.5 kilos. My options were to check the carryon and pay $108.00 or divide the contents of the carryon into the two checked suitcases and pay $32.00 apeice for excess weight luggage. I opted for choice #3, which meant that I put things from my carryon to one of my checked suitcases, loaded up my pants pockets and coat pockets and paid $32.00 for one excess baggage weight. Out of sight of the checkin people, of course I put the stuff back into my suitcase and had no problems with the suitcase the rest of the way. Until I checked into BKK for the flight home. My carryon was weighed again and weighed 10 kilos. By this time, I was a little unhappy with China airlines and put the carryon suitcase on their scales opened and took stuff from it until the weight reached 7 kilos (one of my carryons weighed only 40 pounds so I threw the stuff into it). I'm probably going to buy another carryon that weighs almost nothing (a dufflebag) and use it on future China airlines flights. If you are travelling with friends, I'd suggest leaving the caryons with one person while the others check in. In my case, I don't think that I'll have to bring much to my house in LOS from the U.S. and won't have to be concerned with the changing baggage policies of the airlines.

Munchie, I assume he means hand luggage? ;) Of course I assume being a Scot you'd be familiar with a "carry out" :drunk:

In my experience most airlines limit hand luggage to 7kgs these days. And if its large not surprising if they weigh it.

Simie.

yes......carryon is the American term for hand luggage.

Dean....I think all airlines have maximums on carryons, it's just they were never enforced much, especially in the U.S. by U.S. carriers. NWA max for carryon is 40 pounds. Foreign (to the U.S.) carriers seem to allow alot less. I think it's gonna be enforced now as they seem to have run out of things to charge for so this is a new one. ;)

I think I brought this up once before when we were complaining about the airlines. What about the fact that I weigh 110 kilos? Add the carry-on and checked luggage, I'm accounting for a large amount of weight and I know there are fellows bigger than me.

Its only a matter of time until they make US, the passenger step up on the scale.

I have to admit that I 've never looked up China Airline's carryon weight limits. I do remember that, up to around 8 months ago, they had among the most liberal weight allowances in the industry. Now, they are among the most miserly. I really don't mind, and can easily accommodate, the airline's weight limits. What I don't like is their changing the rules after a customer buys his/her ticket and enforcing rules without notifying the passangers by e-mail. Once they have me at the airport, they pretty much have you by the proverbial balls. An enformed passanger is generally a happy passanger. Quite frankly, if the airlines want to make everything ala carte, including charging by the weight of their customers, I have no problem with that, as long as the policies are easy to understand and not in fine print. I would, however, expect a significant discount on such a "bare bones" flight.

I think I brought this up once before when we were complaining about the airlines. What about the fact that I weigh 110 kilos? Add the carry-on and checked luggage, I'm accounting for a large amount of weight and I know there are fellows bigger than me.

Its only a matter of time until they make US, the passenger step up on the scale.

Short answer........all U.S. carriers use average weights for passengers. The smaller carriers with smaller planes go a step further and have an average weight for each carryon (that they take from you that won't fit in the cabin)

Archived