17 killed, 50 injured in road accident in Korat

Flashermac

THE NATION

29 Mar 209

Nakhon Ratchasima - An air-conditioned bus heading to Bangkok overturned and crashed with a pick-up truck and another passenger bus of the same company, killing 17 people and injuring over 50 others Friday.

The drivers of the two buses of Ratchasima Tour and three persons inside the pick-up were among those killed in the accident, which happened on the Mittraparb Road in Pak Chong district at 6 pm on Friday.

Witnesses told police that the driver, who was heading to Bangkok, lost control on the slippery downhill road and the bus eventually overturned and crossed the road island into the opposite lane, crashing with the pick-up truck and a bus travelling from Bangkok to Nakhon Ratchasima.

:doah:

I understand some of the private bus companies register their buses then add a second deck to the bus later to save fees. The second deck is not stable and can result in control problems for the driver when he is speeding. Don't know if that was the case here or not.

I don't trust those oversized buses. They are so obviously topheavy. I've been on them twice - never again!

US Peace Corps went for over 20 years in Thailand without a fatality. Then a PC vol was finally killed riding a bus in Isaan. It would be a bus.

An entire luk thung music group from Chiang Mai was wiped out about 8 years ago, when their idiot bus driver refused to slow down and rolled the bus. Thai language papers had photos of the performers laid out in rows next to the bus. Most were cute young gals who had been dancers. The group was quite well known, had been on TV numerous times.

Only the crashes with high death tolls seem to make the news.

Back when I was a PC vol, I passed a bus near Wang Thong (Phitsanulok Province) that had just run into the back of a lumber truck! There was a large circular depression in the front of the bus from a log, and the impact had bounced the bus backwards. The passenger in the "dead man's seat" had been thrown through the windscreen/windshield. I heard he did survive, but was cut up so badly that he lost an arm. I don't think that one even made the Thai language newspaper.

Archived