Medical question

Actually I've got two questions regarding diagnostics of some abnormalities I encountered lately.

When I was in Pattaya two weeks ago I got the same kind of infection I also got in Pattaya four years ago. This time I went to a different Thai hospital than the first time, but doctors in both hospitals were quite puzzled what it was and how I got it. Becauses the symptoms are: a very enlarged lymphe node under my left jaw, which is a bit painful when touched. The first day I felt a little feverish. There are no other symptoms! The Thai doctors have diagnosed it as a throat infection both times, but they don't seem to have a clue on the origin. The doctor from four years ago thought I could have got it from oral sex with a woman as I have sex with bar girls all the time when in Pattaya. But I doubt it, for I don't have a lot of oral sex with women and because I usually go bareback I presumably would have got an infection on the genitals too (which both times didn't occur). The first time I got a penicillin shot (for gonorrhoea?) and another regime of antibiotics as an addition. This time I only got a regime of amoxicillin, because I was going to take an additive regime of doxycyclin as malaria prophylaxis (does the combo without penicillin make sense?). Both times the size of the lymph node decreased to normal proportions in about one week time.

Does anybody have a clue what I could have encountered and how I could have encountered it?

Now I am in Phnom Penh. I met a very beautiful prostitute, but she has vague, darkish spots (size about half a cm) all over her legs and bottom. I wonder what this could be. She says it's some allergic reaction to the sun, but I doubt that. Does anybody have a clue what she might have got?

I have thought of syphilis myself too, but the girl says that she is checked by a doctor every week (I believe all girls in this brothel street are checked regularly by a doctor) and I find it very unlikely any doctor would not have seen any signs of syphilis in an earlier stage and have put the girl on an antibiotic regime in an earlier stage. I thought syphilis only very rarely reached the secondary stage in prostitutes who are checked regularly nowadays.

I would like to hear what Tomc12 thinks about it...

I agree with the above...take care of yourself-wear a raincoat and would you really believe what a "beautiful prostitiute "in Cambodia really says about her health? Wake up and smell the coffee and I mean this from a postive point of view.nno No joke... I have a buddy who met a hoooker on Soi 7 in BKK who died recently of HIV-Up to you...

Hi curiousguy,

I'm afraid I can't give you much specific help. The swollen lymph node seems to be a reaction to an infection, but the question remains as to where it is. Throat, gums, teeth, sinus, etc can all be the source of the infection. Was a throat swab taken? What was your WBC count? Do you still have your tonsils? A lymph node biopsy can be done to provide more information as to cause if it becomes a frequent problem.

The spots on the girl are difficult to identify based on your description. However, if they are confined to just her lower extremities, I would be thinking of insect bites. Not many things are located just on the legs-drug eruptions are general (unless a topical drug was applied), secondary syphillis involves the whole body (one of the few disease that can cause lesions on the palms), AIDS-related Kaposi sarcoma usually involves the upper body, etc.

Thanks, Tomc12. Your input is always very welcome.

Yet I'm afraid both abnormalities will remain mysteries.

No swab from my throat was taken, although the doc looked in my throat and (at that moment in time?) made a diagnose of throat infection. But I didn't have symptoms like sore throat or coughing, and the swollen node was at the 'intersection' of my jaw and throat, so not clearly in the jaw nor throat (but it had exactly the same position as 4 years ago!)... Also no WBC count was taken. My tonsils were taking out as a child.

I am a bit surprised there is no easy answer for the spots on the prostitute, for I have seen it several times on the lower extremities of prostitutes in South-East Asia. So it seems to be a rather common disease. In fact, I once made a photo of similar spots on a prostitute in Bali, Indonesia. When I am back home I will try to post the pic. I don't think it comes from insect bites: they didn't look like it, especially because the spots were flat and distributed in a regular manner. Kaposi's Sarcoma as a sign of AIDS also crossed my mind, but I thought the tumors of KS were darker, bumpier and distributed in an irregular way all over the body. Also the girls all seem to be perfectly fit and healthy, something I also would not expect in an AIDS-patient with KS or in a syphilis-patient. tThis is strange... could the girl be right: is it possible that the spots are just an allergic reaction to sunlight or to something else?

Archived