Multinational companies in BKK, who are they?

A lot of people suggested multinational companies to start with for a good expat job. I'm an engineer with a good degree though not much experience. Could you suggest where to start or any sites to search for such companies. Thanks.

I think that the single best collection of this kind of data is the American Chamber of Commerce in Bangkok (AmCham). They publish a book every year that lists each member company, and a bio about them, key offiers, financial data etc. It's a very comprehensive book. No big secrets in the book, but an excellent collection of data all in one place.

I think that several other european entities have this type of book as well..

--UPSer

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

[color:blue]> "I think that the single best collection of this kind of data is the American Chamber of Commerce in Bangkok (AmCham). "color=blue>

Do you know if this book is sold in book-stores?

Who are they?

In computer business, almost every multinational is represented in Thailand. I would think chemical companies are there as well.

Not to hose down your enthusiasm, but there is a long queue of people who would move through the companies they work for to BKK.

If a position appears, it usually goes through the boys club first.

Good luck, if you can find something and negotiate farang type of money, fine, you'll live like a king.

My company (US based) has an office in BKK. The salary we pay for a Thai national with similar skills (software engineer) with 8 yrs experience is 850 000 Bahts a year. I think there is little tax on it.

That person (I met her) has doubled her previous salary, wherever she came from.

Even with that type of money, one would live very well there. To remind you, farangs working as English teacher rarely score over 40K Bht per month.

• 3 weeks later...

An *IT* engineer? My guess is that, being relatively junior, your best shot is to present yourself as willing to travel extensively in the region (hopping from site to site, setting stuff up). The more senior (and inside) people get the best shots at the expat relo packages, but it is also true that the more senior people become, the less willing they are to live in airports and hotels.

• [color:blue]"... but it is also true that the more senior people become, the less willing they are to live in airports and hotels."color=blue>

So true...

All--

I recently had the chance to talk to a few (4) other men that work in the transportation sector in Thailand about ex-pat work and living...

One common trend that I got was that it's not as easy as you think. If you ask for (or even are assigned) overseas and get it then later fail to fulfill the terms of the assignment you're basically screwed. You'll be seen as unrealiable.

The second aspect that I heard was that while a successful stint overseas can be a real resume or cv boost most of the corporate movers and shakers don't come from the overseas ranks... rather they are cultivated at the HQ offices. So, if you're looking for corporate upward movement, it would seem that going overseas may not be the absolute best move.

The last issue that we all agreed on was compensation. While taking an overseas assignment won't put you into the "poor house" or anything, in many cases profit sharing (at the mid to upper mid management level) is based on regional performance... If you're in a "so-so" region your baonus will be so-so... This may not be a big issue for some, but for others the bonus makes up a fairly large part of ones total yearly compensation package.

All in all, I found that a well trained and motivated ex-pat can learn and in fact thrive in a Bangkok like setting. You've only got to really want it for the right reasons..

I know that we (my employer) has dismissed some low and mid tier managers who were in the Philippines for too much "play" and not enough attention to the business at hand.

--UPSer

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Agree with all you say. In my company (construction/Engineering) if you wish to climb the corp ladder, a single 2 year overseas assignment is not mandatory, but maybe adds something. What seems to happen is certain people end of staying overseas for most of their working life. The thought of having to work in home country (mostly US or UK) is a nightmare and they will take just about any assignment to avoid it (I fall into that category). Thailand is a good assignment, but not really much different then any other non-jobsite place.

TH

Archived