Is Thai mail safe?

zigfreed

I ended up owing my friend some money on my last trip to LOS. I'm wondering if anyone has tried sending cash via mail. Is it safe, or any envelope with a Western stamp on it is seen as a possible treasure chest? Is BKK safer than some of the smaller towns?

For what it's worth there are regular letters in the Pattaya Mail about mail to farangs that goes missing...don't really know about BKK.

If I was going to send money I'd make it look as official as possible, print the envelope and make sure it's not possible to see the cash inside etc.

What about a bank or money transfer?

NEVER mail cash, no matter what country you're in. That's just good policy. For Thailand, there are two options:

1. For sending money inside Thailand, the post office can issue you a postal money order in baht.

2. For sending money outside of Thailand, any major bank branch can issue you a bank draft in a major currency. These days, though, most banks want to see proof that you need the draft, like a copy of a bill or statement; they're paranoid these days about hard currency leaving Thailand, ever since the economy crashed.

Wherever you send it, ALWAYS REGISTER YOUR MAIL if it contains any type of money order or bank draft. It's only 20 baht above postage to register an international letter, much less for domestic. For a little extra, you can request a return receipt, so that you can be sure that it has reached its destination.

echo the thoughts above, i have lost enough things that people have sent to me here. they'll even open birthday cards if they think there could be cash in there. my driving licence mailed from th uk never arrived either.

Always insure packages!! doesnt matter what it is, if I get me mum to send food and clothes, its insured, this way it always arrives, it seems that anything with insurance is too much trouble to touch, due I would guess to paperwork and the internal investigation on any lost or damaged articles.

As for sending money, I have had money sent to me from Thailand to Australia in registered mail, wrapped in the old fashioned carbon paper, and it arrived no problems. Registered mail is the only way. Even the EMS envelopes are not entirely safe as there is no insurance coverage.

I have had stacks of things mailed to me, and learnt over the years that insurance is the one word guaranteed to get your package without loss or delay.

It is definitely not safe. They steal anything going, including a big box of Werthers mints my mother sent to the pooying. All my mail from outside Thailand seems to have been tampered with.

Pathetic.

I regularly get trade brochures from malaysia and Indonesia-all opened.

Unfortunately I too must agree that the Thai Post is not the most secure situation. As in many countries, all incoming international post mail is sent to a Customs Inspection facility first before local delivery. While I would not say that Thai post is "ripe" with mail theft. I do know that they have their fair share of it... The golden rule does apply. Don't send cash or other "irreplaceables" via the post and always insure important articles.

--UPSer

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Guest lazyphil

Personally I've never had problems with Thai post, in fact I used to work for the Royal Mail, England and wittnessed unbelievable disrespect to mail

Archived