Experiences with accupuncture? *DELETED*

Hi, I'd be interested to hear the otcome of this. I have a fairly long standing back problem and accupuncture has been suggested to me by a friend.

I also hear good things about chiropractors who are more likely to treat the cause than the effect...

I had a friend who was diagnosed with a herniated lumbar disc by MRI. He decided on acupuncture over surgery as his treatment modality. After 4-5 weekly treatments his pain was gone. He swears by it, but most people with a disc problem will note marked improvement after 4 weeks of rest and no therapy. In your situation, with no neurological deficits, it can't hurt to try it.

Hi, db_sed_aloha,

A neurological deficit occurs when the disc presses on motor or sensory nerves-eg pain or weakness going down the leg. It sounds like you are having spasms in the erector spinae muscles-wet heat like a hot shower, stretching exercises, and a back brace should help. I think you will find that the back brace helps quite a lot when you are having the spasms and will prevent the spasms and some of the aching when you are doing heavy exertion like moving furniture or bowling.

db_sed_aloha,

Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant by a back brace. They can be found in large hardware stores (in America, places such as Home Depot or Lowe's)-about a handspan wide, made out of nylon, and with a wide velcro closure. Often the guys working there have them on. They provide adjustable and flexible support for the lower back, instead of immobilizing it. You can still bowl and tie your shoes with it on, but the extra support usually protects you from a backache under heavy exertion and minimizes back spasms when they are occurring. Costs about US$5-10.

Archived