Cheap calls to Thailand - Skype Unlimited

Weird

Just recently upgraded to Skypes new subscription for unlimited country calling. Thailand includes both mobile and land phones.

$5.95 USD a month for unlimited calling to Thailand.

I was spending ~$140 a month previously paying by minute (~11 cents)

Might save a few of you a couple bucks if you aren't already using it.

$5.95 is a specific country subscription. You can use Skype without a subscription.

How is the voipdiscount voice quality?

Do you know if voipdiscount can be used from a mobile phone?

There are various programs you can download for Skype to use it on a cellphone.

Voipdiscount from my landline/mobile to Thailand mobile/landline has a quality similar to skype (which I use too)

I use voipdiscount from my mobile.

Skype has a better interface, more options but in the end I prefer voipdiscount (for Thailand) as it is free.

In general

When in Europe, for western countries I use either voipdiscount, my own local mobile provider, skype and voipbuster.

Calls to Thailand (mobile/landline) are free with voipdiscount, the system works with freedays.

You charge your account (10$) which gives you a certain number of freedays.

I just refilled my account and I have 249 freedays, which are used to call free destinations.

To call from my mobile, I have to dial a local number which then allows me to call Thailand for free, you still have to pay the local communication but in my case this is almost nothing.

I do love skype for its interface, options, perfect sound when calling from computer to computer and some rates for some countries.

But voipdiscount allows me to call during 2hours to someone in Thailand for free.

All in all, when I was using skype only, I ended u paying around 200$/month (not only calling Thailand).

Voipdiscount: I just refilled my account but the previous time was about 4months ago, and the 10$ went mostly in calls to paying destinations.

Sound quality: Through the years, no matter which provider I used, there were times when the sound was average or bad to excellent.

Too many factors in play but I never found voipdiscount to be worse than skype.

Anyway, for free I could even accept a bad quality.

Voipdiscount looks great for Thailand since it includes mobiles,

can anyone compare it to Magicjack as far as quality ?

I use Magicjack , but its pretty poor quality,

can I use Voipdiscount to call from Thailand using my laptop to the USA ?

Thanks

Dave

I use Magic Jack all the time to the US/Canada and never had a quality issue. Maybe I am just lucky. It is nice having a local US telephone number so that friends and companies (ie banks and financial institutions etc) can contact me quite easily.

Also I have used voipdiscount and don't recall any major quality problems.

I must say that Magicjack sucks as your only option calling the USA, Its OK if you are calling friends since they know you are cheap and will work thru the dropped packets ,

but I would hate to use it for a business call that mattered, then I just use my Thai cell phone.

I was hoping voipdiscount was better,

Maybe it has to do with using WiFi on a laptop and Magicjack might be better from a desktop....

Both are cheap enough not to care , I would just like better sound quality and less packet drops

Dave

Archived