Tabien baan

sinsin2

What is a ?tabien baan?? Can a foreigner be issued with one?

Tuesday, September 11, 2001 No-name, Phuket Town.

?A tabien baan is a house registration document that lists the names of the people living at a specific address.

Farangs may not be registered on a tabien baan unless they have been granted permanent residence.?

Tuesday, September 11, 2001 Officer, Muang District Administrative Office.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=227

I am on one.......with a 30 day tourist visa............

This is what we would translate as "House Registration" - more accurately as Household registration.

Every Thai National is registered at one place of residence, and can only be on one place at a time. Similar to the US (military) concept of Home of Record.

The number on this documents for each person is also their ID card number.

Foreigners without Permanent Residents cannot be on this document.

Even foreigners who buy condos, but are not Permanent Residents will not have this documents issued. They will get another legal document, issued by the Land Department, that gives them legal ownership of the condo but not a Tabien Baan certificate.

For most things that ask for this document, they will normally take your Passport copy (in place of the Thai ID card) and Work Permit (in place of the Tabien Baan). For others, specifically a Thai Drivers License, you need a letter from your embassy that certifies you living here in Thailand.

This document and the Thai ID card are the two most important pieces of paper for Thai people. This is in the news recently as some of the people arresting in the ongoing drug crackdown of Burmese/Chinese descent have Thai papers, and there is an investigation ongoing on how they received these papers without proper authorization.

This document is also important for Thai men to determine their chance of getting called into the military.

There may be special exceptions for cases that I'm not aware of - possible for legally wedded fathers of children born to Thai mothers in Thailand.

"There may be special exceptions for cases that I'm not aware of - possible for legally wedded fathers of children born to Thai mothers in Thailand. "

That is probably the reason.........I have a Thai

child but not married

On the form, there is a place to put the Name of the Mother/Father and their nationality.

So, your name may be on the form in this area, however this is not the same as you being on the Tabien Baan. Your child will have the ID number for his/herself.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived