Import Duties - personal household items

Hi,

We have purchased a condo as a holiday home. Any idea if we will need to pay import duties on the household furniture we bring with for the condo.

The difference is between an "O" visa and a "B" visa.

I quote my Thai Customs Broker:

In reply to:

FYI, if you have married with THAI CITIZEN woman, and she have lived with you at oversea 1 Year up continuously and will come back to Thailand with you, you can use her name as consignee to get the right of duty exemption.

The big problem with importing Duty Free under a "B" (Business) visa is that you have only a one month/six month window to ship/receive your stuff and that ONLY kicks in AFTER you receive your Work Permit/One year Visa... which you can only get in Thailand after you make your move... a little problem of timing here... TIT

So us poor jerks that don't have a big Corporation handling our relocation must ship when we move and pay the duty on the stuff when it arrives. But... the 30%-40% value is on the USED value that you assign the items that are dutiable (assuming you are shipping used items) and this is a value that can be kept low. Again I qoute my Broker:

In reply to:

Pls be informed that you can estimate the value of your things in used condition for declaring to the customs officials for approving, if you need to pay low duty,you should pay under table money to them.

As per our opinion & experience , we think your duty will not be more than Baht 5,000, and the under table money is about Baht 3,000

For the invoice & packing list of personal effects, it do not need a formal form, you can do it by easy form and show them to us first, if you use our service, and then we will review them for you, if your documents are wrong, we will correct them for you, Don't worry about it.

As we told you that we do not need to show everything to the customs ooficials,but pls list everything and estimate value for us, we just want to know everything as much as possible,because it is easy to us to arranging customs cleared and can explain to the customs officials clearly if they would like to know.

I anticipate that when all details are finalized, my total Duty payable will be about Baht 2-3,000 plus "tip". This will be substantially less then the cost in time, money and hassle to replace all these items. (Not all items I ship will be dutyable, ie books, photos, etc... Duty is payable on Electronics, furniture and Clothes, etc.)

Of course I will still have to pay the Freight and Brokerage charges as well... but still it is worth it to me to have a little bit of my past life and memories to look back on and show to my new Thai family and friends... if I get some smile.gif

BTW... Total Ocean shipping cost from the East coast of USA is US$145/cbm (1 cbm Min.) and $45 Handling. Brokerage will cost me about Baht 8,000 (plus 7% VAT) and includes Local delivery charges.

Hope this clears up the questions.

CS

Hi

Class "0" Visa huh? Very interesting that you paid no custom tax. From everything I read, only a class "B" visa is acceptable for the exemption .

I have a Class "O" Visa too and have a alot of stuff to ship. Thanks for the heads-up.

... $1.45/lb to ship by Post... Not bad for light weight stuff. But if you are shipping a lot of books, catalogs, magazines and files, like I am, then you'd end up with a few small boxes.

If you have HEAVY dense stuff to ship... like paper products, then Ocean is only calculated by volume. I could ship 1,000 pounds for $145 as long as it doesn't exceed 1 CBM (Cubic Meter)... and that's a lot of stuff.

CS

Archived