visa on arrival luang prabang, laos

Guest baldrick

Guest lazyphil

can i get a visa on arrival in luang prabang from surat thani....assuming theres a flight from surat thani to LP?

thanks.

is laos/luang prabang a malaria zone?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi LP,

I just did this last week, actually.

Yes - can get a visa on arrival at Luang Prabang.

It was $30 USD, and 1 passport photo needed. They'll give you the form on the plane.

Very easy and the immigration staff very friendly.

As for flights, nothing direct from Surat Thani.

You'll have to go to BKK and then change to Bangkok Airways (recommended) or Lao Aviation (not recommended).

I stayed at a place called the Sala Prabang on the banks of the Mekong - lovely place. There's a website for it if you google it.

Luang Prabang is a wonderful town - very chilled out. Low season and very quiet there at the moment. Excellent night market with no hassle from stall holders whatsoever.

Do you always want to go to a place that matches your initials, LP?

Hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any more q's.

MooNoi

ao Airlines on Monday announced the opening of a new route between Luang Prabang, Laos's once royal capital, and Udon Thani, north-east Thailand, radio reports said.

The new route will operate twice a week, every Friday and Sunday, costing 80 dollars one way and 150 dollars round trip, said Radio Laos in a broadcast monitored in Bangkok.

Udon Thani, 450 kilometres north-east of Bangkok, is the closest Thai airport to Vientiane, the Lao capital. It is a major hub for Laos and foreigners living in Laos to catch flights on to Bangkok and abroad.//DPA

Hi LP,

I just did this last week, actually.

Yes - can get a visa on arrival at Luang Prabang.

Yes, visa on arrival is possible, or just apply online....

It was $30 USD, and 1 passport photo needed. They'll give you the form on the plane.

Very easy and the immigration staff very friendly.

wrong, depends on your origin, EU citisens is USD 40 if I recall correctly.

or Lao Aviation (not recommended).

LA is highly recommended, short flight, good planes, good service.

Luang Prabang is a wonderful town - very chilled out. Low season and very quiet there at the moment. Excellent night market with no hassle from stall holders whatsoever.

absolutely agree !

BB

Yes, Lao Aviation has new planes and it's a short flight, but they are notoriously late. So if you're not on a tight schedule, then fine. But cancellations and lateness are the norm at Lao Aviation.

From the Laos Travel Website with regards to UK citizens:

"A visa valid for Laos can also be obtained from travel agencies in Bangkok (Thailand) or on arrival (see above). Visas are issued on arrival at 14 international checkpoints throughout Laos, including Luang Prabang Airport, Pakse Airport and (Wattay) Vientiane International Airport for stays of 15 days and costs US$30."

Might be different for Continental Europe as opposed to the UK.

Forgot to answer your malaria question, LP...

As for malaria in Luang Prabang, no, not listed as a problem area. The local guide we had said it's not a problem and has been "eradicated from tourist areas now" as tourism is so important to the country.

However, if you feel more comfortable taking them, then I guess its up to you. A course of Doryx (Doxycycline) would be best, based on my knowledge, but of course check with a pharmacist / medico. But be aware that anti-malarials can make you very sun sensitive and burn quicker, and also give you some very funky dreams.

But some decent anti-insect repellent and sensible clothing and you should be fine.

I am much more worried about dengue fever than malaria in Asia these days.

Guest lazyphil

thanks all. i'm taking my daughter east next year, she'll be nearly 9.....luang prabang on the short list, khao sok, hopefully chaing rai......sketchy right now and room for tweaking but thats my primary agenda, will buy the new lonely planet laos and thailand books, they're very helpful but obviously here is a big help. will be 6 years since our last visit when we go :shocked:

Yes, Lao Aviation has new planes and it's a short flight, but they are notoriously late. So if you're not on a tight schedule, then fine. But cancellations and lateness are the norm at Lao Aviation.

LOL, looks like you have an ax to grind with them.

Took them twice, each time plane left right on the dot schedule.

YMMV.....

"A visa valid for Laos can also be obtained from travel agencies in Bangkok (Thailand) or on arrival (see above). Visas are issued on arrival at 14 international checkpoints throughout Laos, including Luang Prabang Airport, Pakse Airport and (Wattay) Vientiane International Airport for stays of 15 days and costs US$30."

Might be different for Continental Europe as opposed to the UK.

Indeed, you were there last week, dont you remember the country list with different visa fees ?

I definitely paid USD 40.....mai pen rai.

BB

Archived