Airport Smoking Alert

BrownFox77

one for the smokers out there:

Had a big surprise after landing in Taipei between flights on the way to LOS. After 10-12 hours of flying was looking forward to making my way to one of the "smoking rooms" in Tapei's airport - turns out they are all now closed and the entire airport is "smoke free". Must have been a pretty recent development as there were quite a few people racing about looking for open 'Smoking Rooms', especially many of the Yippon travelers.

I asked but you can't even go outside to smoke - maybe they outght to start issuing "smoking Visa's" - if they charge they could make a killing.

Anyway good news for non-smokers but quite a drag (no pun intended) if you're a smoker looking forward to a quick smoke after all those hours on a plane... :sad:

Do same as I do (err... a friend of mine does I mean).... Disabled Toilet. No one EVER looks in there!! And never any smoke detectors - not that I've seen, anyway. And hardly anyone ever uses the things. :thumbup:

(Just as a clarification to that, I have only done it twice - when getting TG's grotty overnight flight from Sydney to BKK via Brisbane - and via Melbourne in the old days), where I have had to transit in Brisbane or Melbourne between Sydney and BKK and no smoking rooms at Oz airports. I'm not really a criminal.. honest!!) :yikes:

I seem to remember reading this week that Hong Kong was going smoke-free in restaurants and bars very soon.

Several years ago a Singapore newspaper wrote of a survey that asked if they should ban smoking in the entire country. A political cartoon showed people standing in the ocean smoking cigarettes. Most surveyed voted against the ban.

That's quite a surprise. I wonder if the employees have a place to smoke within the terminal.

Can't see why they wouldn't let you clear customs/imm. Was it an immigration official you asked, or an airline rep? I've done it in TPE a few times, but only because I was changing airlines and had to. The challenge then was convincing them I didn't have to pay the local departure tax.

This is from the airport website (no date on it):

>>According to the new smoking rule

According to the new smoking rule which is available from Janu.11th 09, the airport terminal is forbidden for smoking. We have suggest the related government to make a special revision for the international airport, we sincerely hope privilege permitted soon.

That's quite a surprise. I wonder if the employees have a place to smoke within the terminal.

Can't see why they wouldn't let you clear customs/imm. Was it an immigration official you asked, or an airline rep? I've done it in TPE a few times, but only because I was changing airlines and had to. The challenge then was convincing them I didn't have to pay the local departure tax.

USV,

Just spoke with a girl at an 'info booth' - ironically right near her I could smell cig smoke coming from somewhere. :banghead:

Looking out the windows you can see some employees outside smoking near the building. There were two older Yippon couples looking at that employee smoking way ouside on the ground floor with me and without even speaking we all smiled at each other and I know we were all thinking "lets make a break for it" :grin:

I only had about 50 minutes layover before my next flight - not sure how long it'd take to get a VISA, then get back in thru Immigration and then Security in order to still catch my Flight. :dunno:

I'm already considering going back to flying thru Japan now as a result - pretty rare that you ever hear of any of the Yippon air lines ever crashing so maybe better anyway - and I sure like the Eye Candy going thru Japan... :devil:

Thanks for your clip from their Website - 11 JAN start explains why I didn't see it when I flew back thru in early JAN.

I was just telling some co-workers about Taipei's new smoking rooms in their new wing - was so nice when it opened I recall seeing people taking Pics of it. I'd have to say Narita has the best Smoking rooms, lots of fancy Art Deco, CNN, and even waiters to take drink orders at one I saw... :)

Archived