What to do after NOA 1?

Well, I'm on my way through the K1 process. I have received NOA 1 and am waiting for NOA 2. Can anyone out here tell me what documents I can prepare for before the interview? Do I have to wait for Packet #3 to arrive or can I start filling out OF-169 & 230 now, then have my fiance' bring them to the consulate for an interview appointment when I get the NOA 2? If so can I get current forms from the Internet? The only ones I've seen are outdated, not to mention I don't know what the Consulate in Bangok will ask for. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

John

I assume by saying you received your first NOA you mean you received notice your petition had been received by the regional INS service center you mailed your I-129F to. The second NOA will state whether or not the petition has been approved or denied. If approved it will be forwarded to the embassy in BKK. You have to do nothing in that process however you can begin to prepare other docs your fiance will need to take to her interview. The most important doc will be the Affidavid of Support which has to be notarized and her posession at the interview. There are 2 different AOS's and you need to call the consular section of he BKK Embassy to see which one is required. I believe the AOS is different now than when I did one for my K-1. Which ever form they state is downloadable from the INS site on the net.

Your fiance can now go to the embassy and ask for packet #3.It lists the docs and includes the forms she needs for her interview. If you're confident your petition will be approved, and most are, she can go ahead and get her medical check, gather her birth certificate, passport, fill out the forms and pay the visa application fee ($45) at any Thai post office. Once the embassy receives your approved petition from the INS, a file will be opened for her. Once she is notified a file is open, usually by sending her another packet #3, she can take her checklist ( list stating all docs are in hand) to the embassy in person and request an interview date. Doing this in person saves quite a bit of time. The consular section will give her an interview date usually within 2 weeks of the time she appeared to request one. On the interview day, she takes all the docs she received in packet 3, her birth certificate, passport, receipt from the Thai post office for the visa fee, health packet she got at her medical exam, your Affidavid of Support,and I suggest a complete copy of the I-129F petition. you orginally filled out. That is suggested so she can answer any questions from the info included in your petition. The interview takes about 10-15 minutes and is done at the standup window at the consular section. If the consular officer is satisfied that a real relationship exists and all information required is present and correct, the visa is approved. Her passport is kept by the CO and she is given a piece of paper (visa pickup notice) that tells her when to return to the embassy and pick up her passport with the visa glued firmly inside. Now she is free to leave the country.

If you have additional questions, feel free to ask.

Good Luck!

HSTEACH

HSTEACH,

"The most important doc will be the Affidavid of Support which has to be notarized and her posession at the interview. There are 2 different AOS's and you need to call the consular section of he BKK Embassy to see which one is required. I believe the AOS is different now than when I did one for my K-1. Which ever form they state is downloadable from the INS site on the net. "

I recommend that you not refer to the Affidavit of Support as AOS. That acronym is most frequently used for Adjustment of Status, the next step for a K1 after marriage.

The 2 Affidavits of Support are the I-134, which is submitted to the consulate at the visa interview, and the I-864, which is submitted to the INS with the I-485 AOS (Adjustment of Status) application.

Regards, JEff

Archived