PM insists Thaksin must face charge

Faustian

Glad to hear this.

Done via Twitter. Very 21st Century!

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/09/08/headlines/headlines_30111722.php

TWITTER INTERVIEW

PM insists Thaksin must return to serve jail term

By The Nation

In perhaps the first interview on Twitter network, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Monday night that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra must return to Thailand to serve his jail term.

Interviewed by Nation Group's Editor-in-Chief Suthichai Yoon at 9:30 pm on his twitter page, Abhisit said Thaksin would have to respect the laws like all Thais.

The interview was conducted while Abhisit was at his home and Suthichai at Nation Group's headquarters.

When asked by Suthichai to confirm whether he would not hold any talk with Thaksin if the former prime minister would not return to serve his jail term first, Abhisit replied: "I want everybody to respect the laws".

"You wouldn't answer my question," Suthichai asked back.

"Read my answer well and you will find the answer," Abhisit replied.

Asked again by Suthichai to confirm his interpretation, Abhist said: "probably yes".

When asked whether Abhisit would agree to talk to Thaksin over the Twitter network moderated by Suthichai, the prime minister said the network's capacity of 140 characters per a post would be too limited to hold such a talk.

Asked by an audience what he would talk to Thaksin if he could have a four-eye meeting with him, Abhisit said he would tell Thaksin to return to accept the legal enforcement and the Thai society would forgive him.

The prime minister also said his government would focus only charter amendments that are related to public interest when asked whether the issue of Thaksin would affect the charter amendments.

Asked to clarify public interest, Abhisit said it would be related to the system and democratic principles, not personal interests.

"I have the duty tot uphold the laws and Khun Thaksin must be under the laws like all Thais," Abhisit said.

Abhisit said political parties had discussed charter amendments and seemed to have a common stand on charter amendments as proposed by a special panel in charge of studying charter amendments.

The prime minister said he believed most parties would be able to reach a common stand on the amendments.

Suthichai began the interview with a question that he expected the prime minister would dissolve the House on New Year day but Abhisit declined to commit himself to the question.

"No one can tell in advance about House dissolution but I'll devote my self to running the country," the prime minister replied.

The prime minister added that he believes he can control the situation.

Asked about his conflicts with Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban and PM's Secretary-General Nipon Promphan over the appointment of the new police chief, Abhisit said he will carry out his duty as the chairman of the Royal Thai Police board straightforwardly and he expressed confidence that the appointment of the new police chief would be done smoothly.

Abhisit said Suthep and Nipon did not have to agree with him in every issue.

When asked by Suthichai whether it was strange that the deputy prime minister and the PM's secretary-general did not agree with the prime minister, Abhisit said mostly he did not have problems with the two.

Abhisit said he was not afraid of having to leave the country to attend a United Nations assembly.

"Aren't you afraid of not being able to return to the country?" Suthichai asked.

"No, I am not," Abhisit replied.

Thaksin was toppled on September 19 three years ago after he left the country to attend a UN meeting.

When asked whether he was worried about the September 19 jink, the prime minister replied he would be still in the country that day.

When asked by Suthichai whether he mistrust the situation because he would have to make phone calls back to Thailand to check the situation from Suthep, Abhisit said it would be normal for him to monitor the situation in the country when he is making a foreign trip.

Asked by a foreigner whether the Thai political situation will stabilize, Abhisit replied in English: "Things are more stable now and will steadily improve cos my govt adheres to democratic principles and will do what's best for the people."

The prime minister then said good night to Suthichai.

Archived