Thai Housing Market in Perspective

FreeTime

From the article,

CBRE reported that foreign demand for residential properties had dropped by up to 90% by June 2009.

This would imply that there are bargains to be had in areas that rely on foreigners - Phuket, Koh Samui, Pattaya. And, this has been my experience.

About 3 months ago, I began looking for a house to rent in East Pattaya, also known as the "Dark Side". Basically, I would drive up to a development and ask the security guard if there were any homes to rent. In most cases the answer was yes and I was allowed to drive into the development and look around.

Many, many unoccupied homes for rent or for sale. A buyer's/renter's market for sure.

I had a couple of very desirable prospects when I asked the security guard at the development where I now live, are there any houses for rent? He said, two houses - one for 35,000 baht a month. This is the house I currently live in - but, I am paying twenty thousand baht a month. The wealthy Thai family that owns the house simply didn't want it sitting empty.

The development has about 40 homes. It has a fitness center, a lovely open area playground for children, a pool area that contains a very large and lovely pool, sauna and steam rooms. The house is furnished with expensive traditional Thai furniture - not the typical junk furniture - it has 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a living room, a dining rooom, a large western kitchen, a large well designed TV room, a very large open area (big enough to play table tennis), a very decent amount of land with lovely trees and flowers.....

I would like to mention that I had an similar house, but, with its own swimming pool (large, very nice pool) offered to me at the same price. But, I chose the house I am in because the development has nothing on either side - so lots of nice breeze and no noise from the surrounding area.

If you are thinking of buying and you are good at negotiation - I would think now is the time! :D

Or renting, same thing. The owner of my house, as I said, very wealthy, would be very happy if I continued to rent here - the previous occupant stole all the furniture and was never heard from again - imagine that in Thailand!! :p

Archived