VISA exired for 6 days..wha will happen at the air

KhunJack

If you are caught in a road block at night with an exipered visa, I would not like to be in your shoes.

Does this mean you always have to carry your passport? I know that technically you're supposed to, but many people don't and I've never heard of them being hassled unless they were really up to no good (or rude to the police).

If you do just carry a photocopy would it be prudent to also photocopy the visa stamp? It would seem they would need that for the road block to be effective (i.e. if I just showed them the photocopy of the static info on the passport they wouldn't know I had overstayed, since they most likely wouldn't be able to look it up via computer easily).

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard of one chap who was caught in a road block with an expired visa and spent the next 3 days in the clink with 4 very "big" and oversexed Nigerian gents. His only comment was that when you scream no-one can hear you.

only kidding...there was really only 3 of them smile.gif

In my distant past, I used to frequently overstay my visa. What used to happen was arrive at the immigration desk, the guy/girl would, after ascertaining I was on overstay, send me to a desk beyond them. The staff siting waiting there would then fill out a form, tell me how much and I would pay. They would also make a note in my passport as to how much I had paid.

If you find yourself in an overstay situation, do not carry your passport around with you. Instead, carry a color copy of the face (main) pages of your passport. A color copy looks much more official than bw and it does not have any dates stamped on it. Only in serious situations will this not suffice, and if they press tell them you had to send the actual passport to the vietnamese or other embassy to get a visa.

In other words, at the airport you will only pay the 200 baht per day fine, but if you are caught before that you will not like the results.

When you go to the airport through immigration the officer will hold your passport up in the air and yell "overstay!", as if he just hit the jackpot. I have often wondered if he gets a commission. Then you will go to the little office there and pay the fine. Make sure you have baht for this or you will have to go get some, and allow some extra time in case there is an abnormally large number of other overstays. Normally there isnt but i missed a flight last year because of this. Was in a line of about 15 other people and ended up taking about 90 minutes to get through, missing the flight by 2 minutes.

Overstay as already mentioned 200ß per day, the maximum is 20000ß. I know someone who left with an 8 month o/s recently and a few years ago I knew of a guy who left with 18 months o/s. Ive never heard of anyone having problems getting in after 3 or more overstay charges . When visas at the airport were 14 days (a few years ago) people used to get overstays all the time , no problem except when picked up with an expired visa in your passport, off you go out to the immigration jail. They can hold you there for up to 14 days before deporting you and they say that the immigration jail is much worse than the regular jails.

When you go to the airport through immigration the officer will hold your passport up in the air and yell "overstay!", as if he just hit the jackpot.

It might be they are regulated to make this announcement to help reduce the incidences of bribery. Maybe they also like to see the farang jump a few inches wink.gif

Actually he is yelling to the officers over by the little office area so they will come and take care of you. But they seem to yell it so gleefully so i do wonder.

I had an overstay incident with my first 3 months visa here in Thailand. Actually I wasn't aware that I was overstaying, because it was a 3 months visa and I thought it would be good for 3 months. I didn't know about the little detail about the stamp at the immigration office to get the last month. This is how it went. I had heard rumors that Laos is a good place to make a visa run, so I decided to go there, thinking I still have 3 days left in my visa, no problems. I never actually looked at the dates on the stamp. After arriving by bus I went directly to the border, only to find out that they close it at 18.00. I had a look at some of the visa "shops" near the border, but I decided to investigate further before buying a Lao visa with them, since I had until next morning to find out how this deal works. Found a hotel and stayed the night, I did meet some guys there who instructed me in how to get an instant Lao visa at the border and avoid the visa "shops". (Although now I know it is cheaper to apply for the Lao visa in BKK) Next morning I went on my way to enter Laos and apply for a new 3 months tourist visa. When my passport was being checked by the officer on duty, he looks at me and says "You have overstayed, please come with me" in a very loud and serious voice. Iks, I thought, this sounds bad, he told me I overstayed 1 month and I have to pay around 6000 bath. I tried to keep calm and tell him that I didn't overstay, it's a 3 months visa, but he didn't seem interested at all, just guided me to the small office behind the passport control booths. I was asked to sit down. The officer at the desk was actually very friendly and smiling (I thought, ok, he is thinking I am a good catch). Then he looked at my passport and told me, you have overstayed, you have to pay 400 bath. This time I thought, wow, that sounds much better, I will not argue anything with him, just smiled and told him politely that I was very sorry about it and I wasn't paying attentions to my visa expiry date. I paid him the 400 and he stamped my passport. I told him thank you and went on my way to wait for the bus to Laos. The rest of my visa trip went without any problems and I arrived in Bkk again late the following night. I did however wonder why he only charged me 400 bath instead of around 6000. Then I noticed that the valid until date on my previous visa was exactly 2 days from the day I went to the border. Guess he made a mistake or maybe he was just being very friendly smile.gif When my passport was stamped and checked, no records were filed in the computer at that time and I believe he didn't write my passport number down, only my name on the receipt. My memory might be wrong on that one because of the situation.

Just my experience from my first visa run.

Best regards,

Danish30

I just returned from a 7-day stay in bkk, When going through the immigration last night, I passed over my passport and saw the female officer having a closer look at my passport. I asked, if anything was wrong, but she didn't answer; instead she pointed out something in my passport to her male co-worker. After some conversation, she gave me the stamp without giving me a second look or answer.

When checking my passport, I noticed the following on my Visa-Entry:

- Admitted: 24 MAR 2002

- Until: 22 MAR 2002

Actually I calculated my days wrong...I overstayed only 4 days..yes, it would have been easier to just look at the slip they tacker in your passport on arrival...it says how long it is valid.

Anyway, went to the immegration.....yes I looked for a friendlier immegration officier..older calm guy...just..made a sign and mumble very quitely some words to the female ocffier at a desk behind him...gave me the passport and the female officier guarded me to the glass box...the guy their made some photo copies from the passport...he stamped the passport with a box where he wrote in ..4 days...800 baht...total elapse time..5 minutes.

Easy one...but still I agree with soiangel...I am goanna try to avoid this situation agai.

Would love to hear about what happened if somebody got caught with only overstaying a few days...on a checkpoint event..etc..

All the Best to you all ... back in a few weeks...(God thanks)

Archived