VISA exired for 6 days..wha will happen at the air

KhunJack

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will be fined 200 baht for each day of overstay and sent merrily on your way. (If not, just mention my name.) Just don't get caught before the airport.

"You will be fined 200 baht for each day of overstay and sent merrily on your way"

Although I have heard "three strikes and you're out," i.e. if you have three overstays (regardless of duration), immigration *can* red-stamp your book and bar you from future entry to LOS. True?

And even if you get a new passport, you will still be in their computer.

Fred,

The point about three strikes and you're out is not one that I have heard before, but it does raise the very good point that we do NOT know what happens behind the scenes with overstays. Who knows, they may change immigration policy in the future and anyone who has EVER overstayed might suddenly come in for extra special attention.

The bottom line is that one should do everything possible to avoid overstaying. Remember in Malaysia they lock you up for it!

To answer the original poster's questions, odds are you'll just pay a small fine and be sent on your way. 10 days overstay is not the end of the world.

Stick

I dont think you will have a problem at the airport. YOu may have to pay a fine of 200B /day. The problem you have is if you get caught before you make it to the airport. I few years ago a boarf member who was on his way to the airport and was stopped by police with an expired visa. The police will not care that you have an outgoing ticket or not. They do not actually know if you will use the ticket and may just stay in thailand forever. If you are caught in a road block at night with an exipered visa, I would not like to be in your shoes. You more than likely will be thrown in the detention center for a few days. I know a few guys who have spent a few nights in there and it is not the place you want to be spending your last few nights of your vacation. Short time or long time.

Since it has already expired I would NOT go to immigation police and ask for a new one. Just play it cool and dont take your passport with you but some other form of ID and have the money ready to pay at the airport.

Good luck

I have not heard anything about three strikes and you're out before, but I HAVE heard that if you are expelled from the country a second time, then THAT bars you. That's "EXPELLED," as in arrested for whatever reason (illegal employment, for instance) and deported; does NOT include overstaying and paying a fine as you happen to be exiting.

I think this situation is probably very similar to the way the U.S. often uses visa status. Most likely as long as you're a good boy and excessively polite and apologetic nothing will happen to you. However, if your visa is not valid, then it can be used as an excuse for any manner of intrusive and annoying procedures.

Even if you are good, you never know what external event might trigger a crackdown. E.g. the day before you leave a farang drugdealer (or pedophile) might be caught who was overstaying his visa. Then the pressure will be on to scrutinize every overstay.

So to some up, usually not a big deal. But in the future you shouldn't take it lightly and intentionally overstay by a few days.

Archived