Showing the baht some respect ...

gobbledonk

Hi All,

I know its different when you are on holidays as opposed to those who live in Thailand, but my last trip was a shock to the system after getting over 3K baht for a hundred Oz dollars on the previous sojourn. While I will only be in Thailand for a few days this time, I've decided to look at the currency differently to my usual 'its less than $5!' approach to hundred-baht notes:

1. Treat a hundred baht note like a $5 bill

2. Treat a five-hundred baht note like a $30 (!) bill, if such a thing existed

3. Treat a thousand baht note like a $50 bill, and accept that once you've broken it, its gone.

While this is nowhere near the actual exchange rate (closer for the Kiwis, a lot further away for virtually everyone else), I think its closer to the way Thais view each of these notes : in the case of poor Thais in the province, its probably more. For those of us who do the 'aah, its less than $5 !' thing, how often do you drive around throwing $5 notes out the window of your car ?

I'll let you know how effectively all of this holds up after that first beer in Hua Hin !

(About 12 months ago, I heard one 'expert' loudly intone that Thais could get 3 meals for 40 baht : they must be visiting some pretty thrifty street stalls to pull that off. Whatever the reality, I dont think there are too many Farang who can make 100 baht go as far as the Thais)

It's certainly a good idea to round the currency exchange rate upwards. I've done it for years but not quite to your extent Gobble.

Alcohol is the worst threat to spending good intentions. A quiet night out with a few drinks becomes a multiple barfine orgy with pizzas included.

Err..so they tell me anyway. :liar:

Archived