Bugs

What do scropions taste like and do you eat the whole thing, same for grasshopper do they use different spices. And what are the huge bugs on the carts and what do they taste like and how do you eat them? I had black beatle bugs last April in Phuket tasted like amonds they were roasted, ate the whole thing. Don't know about other bugs can anyone give suggestions.

I've eaten fried scorpions in China, and I was surprised how tasty the little critters are. I could envision myself sitting in a theater, watching a movie, and munching on a big bag of them. Not unlike potato chips. Silkworms, though, were not much to my liking, bitter and very dry.

When I was in Pattaya, I asked my friend who lives there if he eats the fried bugs off the food carts and he said "No, they say they taste like potato chips so I just eat potato chips.

Sounds good to me...

My understanding was that they were full of protein and of course they are cheap. Therefore to the locals a better alternative than chips/crisps as a snack

But today no doubt most of them also contain half the chemicals known to mankind.

imo makes for a good novelty purchase not too many farangs are going to have the option of eating them back home

The scorpions and silkworms that I ate in China were all alive when ordered. The resaurants had a good collection of live critters, and they were destroyed by the cooking process, so that I knew they weren't killed by pesticides and such. Here in Thailand, many (most? all?) of the ones at the stands might have been killed by DDT. I haven't eaten anything TOO exotic here, insectwise.

I know its not bugs but I like all the fruit thay have on the barrows etc. Unfortunately my tongue burns like hell after eating any. I don't know what they do with the fruit but sure as hell they bugger it up. Any suggestions as to what they do with it?? Better still where can I get ordinary fruit that tastes like fruit.

Archived